Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Negotiating with Arnold Clark, Hezbollah and other quasi-terrorist organisations  (Read 9394 times)

cans

• Joined May 2013
I’ve been greeted with:
“can I help you sir”?
Em Sir is a Miss!

“Does Mrs like the colour of the car?”

I’ve been ignored by salesman........
Well I was wearing combat jacket, wellies and a bunnet!!!   :roflanim:
Went back next day in wearing a dress and heels ........

I managed to get a new rear wiper unit, wheel trim and the window winder handle glued back on with my last purchase

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Went back next day in wearing a dress and heels ........

I managed to get a new rear wiper unit, wheel trim and the window winder handle glued back on with my last purchase

So THAT'S where I went wrong!  Oh well, a quick visit to the charity shop, and it seems that my haggling woes will soon be over. Thanks Cans!!  :thumbsup:

Your story reminds me of an experience once in Kwikfit, only the other way around. I was waiting in their wee office bit, when the phone rang. Their apprentice answered it, listened for a bit and then shouted through to the boss "That's Mrs Paterson on the phone, complaining about {something or other}". The boss shouted back "Have I taught you nothing?  If it's a woman, bulls**t her!".

I just remember my first reaction being one of shock that he'd said something like that, and even worse, in front of customers. My second reaction was "I really hope that Mrs Paterson is a professor of Mechanical Engineering or something!"  ;D 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:00:46 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Cash would probably work with an independant but a national dealership would have concerns about their 'duty of care' re money laundering and checking all those notes for forgeries.. all they want is bank transfers for a money trail.In the london area you'd be lucky to get as far as the dealership with that much cash.....
pgk

Most reputable garages are registered with HMRC as high value cash dealers so transactions of €10k and over are ok, be prepared at a later date to demonstrate to HMRC where you got the dosh from if its a lot , well quite a lot !
I'm sure they would take the time to count it all out ( unless its 50p's  :D )
Its all academical really , how often do any of us wander around with carrier bags of £20 notes .........

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
As I understand it gov has now made business responsible for money laundering issues with risks of fines etc..
Before crdit cards becoming the norm V would often stroll down to the bank (a mile and a half away) with the Practice takings in a Tesco carrier bag. The £4K+ of that era was worth more than £10K today. She did at least vary the time and day...
..another story coming on..

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
Thanks everyone - a very interesting discussion. I actually wish this change had happened 20 years ago, as it would have saved me from being ripped off a couple of times when I was younger.

Anyway, the good news is that I managed to get what I think is a fair deal on a Subaru Forester. I was only nearly convinced, until the salesman let me take it up a flooded and rutted farm track: SOLD!! This is no pretend 4x4!  ;D .

Anyway, I managed to negotiate down to £400 below Parker's guide price, plus a tank of fuel and a towbar fitted at cost (yes, I was sceptical about that bit too, but two local towbar places wanted significantly more, so possibly not!). It certainly ain't a bargain, but it seems a fair price to me, and was all agreed courteously, so I'm happy. Actually I'm most happy about not having to go through that again for a few more years at least!

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Well done. I hope you got them to wash it before delivery <s>

Before we came here V demanded a 4x4 for bad weather so we went looking. I test drove the Nissan X-Trail we have on what turned out to be a day after a night of heavy snow - unusual in S London but some decent drifts. I'd done my usual test-driving of seeing how good the brakes were (Salesman peeled himself of the windscreen despite my warning) and then seeing if I could make it skid on a quiet side road tight bend (Salesman crossed himself) and then asked if i could test it's off-road capability..
..the best i could find was a quiet Housing Estate with wide grass verges and a small central park-like strip all covered in a foot of snow and big lumps of bulldozed snowbanks. V is used to my test-drive game but salesman really did go pale and then green when i hurled it through that lot - but the car passed.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
Well done. I hope you got them to wash it before delivery
Yes of course. I always keep my cars immaculate, and would never be seen driving one with dirt on it#.

some decent drifts.
Wow. I don't mind driving a car hard on a test drive, but I've never tried drifting!!  :o Interestingly, the X-trail was my other choice. Substantially more expensive though, and difficult to find in 5 seater 4wd configuration.

# The other day I was walking back to the Landy in Tesco's car park when a bloke in front of me turned to his girlfriend and said "what the hell? it seems we're parked next to Indiana Jones or something!".  They then went to their car and I went to mine. At this, the poor chap turned bright red and apologised profusely. I couldn't stop laughing for ages! Yeah, you can go fast pal. I can go anywhere  ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 03:25:45 pm by Womble »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Our x-trail is 2008.. a year old when we bought it and moved down here.
The car for drifting is my s13 200sx (white car) which oddly I didn't test drive hard or even know it was used as a drifting car. I'd be loaned a 300z for a week and loved it but couldn't find one at my price so settled for the same body shape 200sx instead... was a 6mth old demo car when i bought it 25yrs ago and I still love it albeit it gets treated with care now and is getting very tired.
I discovered it's drifting capabilities the unpleasant way on a damp and greasy road wen it fishtailed on me at speed and i was bruised by seatbelts before getting control - hence wanting to know a car's vices before purchase. White car never let me down.. even when i blew it's big ends it got me home (slowly)

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
If there is one thing I hate and can't stand, then its shopping for a new car.  I'm fortunate that my car is a company vehicle so its ok relatively speaking - choose from a list and as long as it goes I'm happy.  But car shopping for the boss....then that's a different story.

We will never go back to any Mr C's outlets - as well as a couple of major issues, when searching all questions were addressed at me when they should have been addressing the boss who is more of a petrol head than I will ever be.  She wasn't happy and nor was I. They assumed we were married......they were corrected....then assumed it was Ms or Miss......corrected again......Dr.  Awkward  :innocent:

Generally speaking, I find the service (sales, service) in these places dreadful.

Our last purchase was relatively hassle free but it still took us 3.5hrs of our life that we wont get back.  After this length of time, I've lost the power and will to haggle and I just want out of there.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
I liked my Forester, and yes it is a REAL off road vehicle, but believe me they are alcoholics!  Be warned  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
My recent purchase from Stirling dropped by £750 online and I got £200 more on my trade in by haggling ( not A C )   Told me 1 could pay max £3000 cash  max £7000 by card and bank transfer only above this

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS