Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat transport  (Read 2720 times)

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
Goat transport
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:52:14 am »
Hello,

To take a nanny to stud, do you have to have paperwork for their transport to temporary accommodation?

Many thanks!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Goat transport
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:27 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by temporary accommodation? If you mean that she'll only be there for a few days, then yes I imagine she would need a licence, and a standstill would also be in force for 6 days after she arrives and for 6 days when she comes back.

I just double checked my facts and found reference to an exemption on the pigmy goat society page, part 6 (link below).

http://pygmygoatclub.org.uk/index.php/general-information/2013-09-11-15-42-25/current-legal-requirements

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:26:23 pm »
Yes, you must have a licence and observe the standstills.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:12 pm »
Yes, you must have a licence and observe the standstills.

You do NOT need a licence unless you are doing transport as part of an "economic activity". Movement forms required. Both your holding and the stud holding will be on stand-still afterwards - 6 days in England/Wales and 13 days in Scotland.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 05:20:56 pm »
Sorry if I am not terminologically knowledgeable...but what does 'economic activity' mean? Like if I am having her bred...is that economic activity? That is what I am doing - having a doe bred to a stud.

Then also, may I ask what a stand-still means? I've not heard this from any stud farm so it's a new term for me.

Many thanks!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 06:27:54 pm »
I think there is some confusion on this thread as to 'licence'

There is a movement licence, which you most certainly do need.

I think the licence referred to by Anke is a transporters licence, which you need if the journey is more than 55 miles or if its part of an economic activity.

The standstill is a period of time for any infection or contagious disease to incubate and show itself. So if you buy a goat, when you get it home you can't move any animals off your farm for 6 days.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:12:14 pm »
The goat is a pet... I may sell the offspring but not yet certain. Somewhat depends on gender (male may be sold) or if there are twins we may not keep both. Where does that fall?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:22:28 pm »
The transporting law is a bit of a grey area and badly written bit of legislation. If you were transporting someone else's sheep and they paid you, that would be an economic activity, if you were transporting someone's sheep as a favour that wouldn't count and would be allowed..

Basically I wouldn't worry about it..

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:54:09 pm »
The goat is a pet... I may sell the offspring but not yet certain. Somewhat depends on gender (male may be sold) or if there are twins we may not keep both. Where does that fall?

No, unless your smallholding activities are classed as an economic activity by HMRC you will certainly NOT need a transporter's licence. It is a hobby (as is showing goats even if you get price money)… I don't have one and I do buy/sell goats quite a bit. Just complete the movement forms, if you are in England/Wales you can download the forms from ARAMS website.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:58:32 am »
Anke,

Is it just a movement licence even if the miles exceed 55? I may be looking at a stud a bit further. I wish that there were studs dotted around in my 5 mile radius of home. But based on breed type, availability, etc. It may not be a choice to keep it as close to home as I'd like, even for the sake of fuel cost, time and difficulty on the poor goat having to be transported.

So the question is, is if it exceeds 55 miles - what then, even if it is a hobby?

Another question, out of simply interest and curiosity, are there people/agencies which do transport goats for you? It might be nice to know that sort of option is open in case we have other things happening.

Many thanks!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS