Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Female kid in with male  (Read 1518 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Female kid in with male
« on: September 27, 2018, 06:05:00 pm »
Hi, 5 month old female kid managed to get to a male kid 2 fields away, he was tethered so he wouldn't get to her!
Anything I can do?
Last time I took one to vets it was £45 and she still kidded. (Actually the result was this ones mum).
Don't suppose there are any herbs or anything that wouldn't harm her but prevent any kids?
Didn't think she would jump that fence with barbed wire on top, or the electric fence+wall.  :(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Female kid in with male
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 07:50:04 pm »

As far as I know she will need two injections a week (Or 10 days?) apart, but only ever had to do it on a lamb that was caught when tup decided to jump the fence.

How well grown is she, and what are your plans with her (as diary or meat)?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 08:45:21 pm »
Planning on selling her with her mum, who was also an accident, the result of the non-effective jabs. So nothing special, she is fairly well grown as a single kid. In fact meant to take photos this afternoon. Obviously can't sell them now. So frustrating, desperately short of space and fodder for winter

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 08:48:55 pm »

Oh, that's a bummer then… maybe wait for three weeks and see if she comes back in season? Might not have taken…

Can you sell the dam with another companion or even on her own, if she goes to a place with other goats?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 07:17:15 am »
As long as her feeding is right she should not come to any harm from being precocious.  You could still sell but let any prospective purchaser know that she has had a bit of a fling.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 01:44:04 pm »
It does sound like I'm careless, but it's only Florences' dad and her baby that have been wayward, and possibly the male kid and a Boer yearling who I think came in season August 1st, long before expected. def. tail wagging and male kids interested.
Seems logical to at least sell the mum. If kid doesn't hold then she can go with another kid her age. She's off the boil today so presuming mated, I think they quieten down sooner rather than 2-3 days when unmated.
Boys fastened in today just in case there is another decides she wants babies!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS