Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nigerian dwarfs  (Read 5818 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Nigerian dwarfs
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 05:44:14 pm »
No harm at all.

The advice and experience you will find on here, especially in the goat section, I think is second to none.

Couldn't agree more which is why I came on here! I'd figured that this is the place to get confirmation of possible options being valid or not. I was only frustrated as it seemed to get in the realm of whether or not the meat option was viable. All I said was I didn't want to breed for it, which is a rather deliberate movement towards it, rather than simply dealing with an eventual outcome. And of course, then so many veins went out of whack a bit. And words get easily misunderstood and we get off-course on 'rarity' 'registered', etc. Still very much want expertise and help though, just want to stay on topic.

I understand now, that many are dubious of the Nubian option but in first coming on here, that was what I was trying to figure out. Are there any? Could the one I found be valid? What are reasonable stud costs? etc.

BTW - not still touting the stud, but the studs ancestors were Nubian and brought over. So he is - supposedly - the progeny of imported Nubians. Just clearing up any misconceptions.

It's a real shame that the Nubians aren't really found here. I've spoken to American counter-parts where they are very popular. It seems a real shame that they were blended out with Pygmies (which are used for meat and pets), and then, according to some information, the UK liked the look of the Pygmies...so characteristic wise, it won out. Seems a shame that there are none left now that are true, or at least close to true, Nubians.

Nubians or Nigerians? Plenty of Nubians about… though wouldn't use one on a smallish GG...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 07:02:42 am »
Nubians or Nigerians? Plenty of Nubians about… though wouldn't use one on a smallish GG...

Like the Nigerians the Nubians you get in this country are Anglo Nubians and not pure.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:44 am »
OMG! I think my brain went on holiday!  :innocent: I meant Nigerian, but obviously in that post I got stuck on the word Nubian and it just got stuck.

I mean Nigerian...definitely Nigerian!  :roflanim:

Where did my poor brain go??  :coat:

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 09:57:23 am »
Another breeding question, movement of goats!

So when I take my girls to be bred, what paperwork has to be done to move them? If it's temporary for the purposes of breeding?

I spoke to the vet and I'll be taking a sample to our vet for a worm check, rather than worm unnecessarily as they are doing pretty well and their last check was very good.

DrMunns

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 11:20:15 pm »
A little late to the party but I found this site that do Nigerian semen

http://www.thebuckbank.com/otherbreeds.htm

Rushy

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:56 am »

Re the stud goat being ND (even mostly)- I am afraid you are (probably) being conned, sorry.

And I don't breed for meat either, but as my goats have usually more than 50% male kids I need to do something about them…. and the most ethical solution is to raise them here on my holding until a decent size (they are castrated early on and can live with the girls), then they are killed humanely and go into our freezer for fantastic roasts and curries. They are not cost effective (compared to my sheep that live mostly off grass and a bit of hay in winter), but I prefer to do that rather than selling them to an uncertain fate as a pet.

Have you considered growing fodder tree crops for them to reduce the feed costs?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS