Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which meat slicer do you use?  (Read 8560 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Which meat slicer do you use?
« on: September 20, 2010, 07:26:06 pm »
I had an Andrew James from Amazon once and it is useless. It costs a couple of hundred pounds and couldn't even slice a decent sized bread, let alone bacon.

So we'll need to go up to the (semi-)professional category - but they're so expensive I'd rather not make a mistake, and it's not the kind of thing I like to buy from ebay.

So... which ones do you know to work well? It would be mainly used for bacon and hams (cooked as well as air dried). I'm happy to pay more for a good one, having visions of slicing the way they do in deli's...

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Which meat slicer do you use?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:06 pm »
I have a 60 odd year old Berkel.  Its totally reliable, and big enough to cut a really good sized ham.  Whatever you use if you chill the meat right down before slicing its much easier. 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:48:16 pm »
We bought a 15 year old Omega off eBay for 50 quid. Works fine.

My Dad's going to give us his slicer - a fully functioning huge manual one from a hundred years ago.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 09:25:08 am »
Isnt it amazing what you can find.  Is it one of those red ones that they used to have in Sainsburys back in the olden days when I was v. young.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:42:39 pm »
Yes - with a great big wheel.

Dad got it years ago in a fit of enthusiasm and got it all done up and everything. I think we rolled up a newspaper and maybe a cucumber to test it out and - to be honest - I don't think it's ever been used again.

They go for about a grand on eBay!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 08:23:39 am »
The old ones are much heftier than the modern ones.  I wonder if in 100 years time one of the newer models will be working for another TAS smallholder.

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:55:07 am »
I was given a Magimix slicer a could of years ago. It is OK. I think it cost about £100.

I wasn't happy with the cutter blade. It's like a very worn circular saw - a disk with shallow teeth. So I spent an hour with a small sharpening stone carefully polishing the edges. This improved matters quite a lot.

However, the machine isn't made of cast iron and any side pressure results in lop-sided cutting and wedge shaped slices. I use it to cut air dried sausages (like salami), home made ham and bread. Provided the item isn't large, it works OK but needs care and a little patience.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:57:06 am »
I was in the north Italian town of Bassano del Grappa earlier this year and there was a vintage motorbike and car show in the town square, full of lovely sights. In one corner under an awning there were a few old guys supping wine admiring each other's vintage meat/prosciutto/salami slicers. Beautiful heavy ornate old things with fantastic manual mechanisms that gently glide the ham back and forth into the blade, shaving off a perfect wafer thin slice every time. That doesn't help you mind.

I got a lovely heavy duty electric meat grinder from a butcher closing down on eBay. Very good price. These machines are simple, and you are literally paying for the amount of metal in them. So go second hand, but use good judgement.

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:51 am »
I've got an industrial one made by Hobart. Electric, just like you see behind the counter in a deli/butchers. Can't recommend it enough. Got it via 'that' auction site so took a chance but wow. Don't know it's age. It's heavy, but tackles the job with ease - it takes longer to carry it to the correct bit of worksurface than it does to slice up any joint of pork. Whizzes through the job in minutes, adjusts easily for thickness of slices and has nice large area to catch the cuts. Essential piece of kit when pork comes back on pig weekend.

:love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS