Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why are sheep noisy during the night.  (Read 7608 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Why are sheep noisy during the night.
« on: September 13, 2018, 07:36:22 pm »
The sheep and lambs in the field next to me are making a terrible racket during the night.They can be noisy during the day but only to attract my attention to give them an occasional apple.
They are not mine....I just rent the field. out.They can't be hungry..plenty of grass...could it be some sort of prey around  which is making them nervous. It's a 4 acre field with ewes and lambs..45 of them .Only been there for a day..they get moved around 11 acres fairly regularly. Or is it just ewes and lambs communicating with each other when they are lost in a big field?
Perhaps one only notices the noise sheep make when one is trying to get to sleep!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Why are sheep noisy during the night.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 08:21:05 pm »
I often hear my neighbours sheep but during the day and they are over the valley from me. Can't say they make much noise at night though and I check my ponies quite late. Maybe more so when lambs are young.  Maybe a fox or something going about at night to upset them

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:23:28 am »
As they have only just moved to the field, all the noise will be ewes and lambs trying to find each other in the dark, in an unfamiliar place.  Our own sheep are silent at night, which is much more sensible if predators are around, as long as they all know where ewes and lambs are.  Hopefully your next door sheep will settle in a couple of days.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 10:23:07 am »
Agree with what the others have said, they should be silent at night, but if they are new to the field they may still be trying to find each other.  If you listen carefully the calls should get responses - like a conversation - eg. "Lamb: where are you Mum?   Mum: I'm over here!" and this can repeat until the lamb has made it's way back to Mum.  If it's not like that and the bleats are more panicked and there is a lot at the same time then it could be caused by a predator.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:49:34 am »
I think Fleecewife is probably right, but I did also wonder whether some of the sheep have been speaned.  Does it look like all the lambs have a mummy?  Are they mostly pairs of lambs?  Otherwise, it could be a batch of speaned lambs with a few ewes to nanny them, and they’re crying for their mammies.  Or a batch where the male lambs have been removed, and the mums and sisters are calling for the missing family member.

In all cases, the racket should stop after a day or two.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 02:54:03 pm »
I think Fleecewife is probably right, but I did also wonder whether some of the sheep have been speaned.  Does it look like all the lambs have a mummy?  Are they mostly pairs of lambs?  Otherwise, it could be a batch of speaned lambs with a few ewes to nanny them, and they’re crying for their mammies.  Or a batch where the male lambs have been removed, and the mums and sisters are calling for the missing family member.

speaned?   do you mean weaned ?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 05:04:56 pm »

speaned?   do you mean weaned ?

Lol, no Linda, I mean speaned.  It’s an old word, still used in the north of England, meaning ‘separated and weaned’.   Subtle difference ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 08:22:31 am »
Speaned/speaning still in common use in the Highlands as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS