Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: taking in someones ancient sheep  (Read 2345 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
taking in someones ancient sheep
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:06:46 pm »
I realise this may sound like a big mistake but here goes.....
A neighbour and good friend of ours has been recently widowed. As part of his planning for the future he has decided to move closer to his family but he is not able to take his wife's two pet sheep. These are two 'pet lambs' that are now about 13 years old. They are un tagged and he has not kept them on a registered small holding but just in a paddock attached to his garden.
Our friend already has a property to move to and so is planning to go there within a few weeks.
He says he is planning to have the sheep PTS but it is very obvious this will be painful for him. What he thinks are 'subtle hints' about me taking them in are being regularly dropped. I have not yet got a CPN as we quickly recognised our limitations and have concentrated on growing stuff since we moved pending my 'giving up the day job' - which thankfully is to be soon!
We have plans to have a small flock shortly in any event.
We have a suitable 2.5 acre field with shelter and water. My immediate neighbour is a shepherd and would help me. I can sort out a CPN BUT can I take in untagged sheep and, if so,  how would I record this??
To be honest this is only being contemplated because of our friend's position and to help him get over a livestock problem of his own making - and I would never choose to take on animals that will bring health issues with them . I am more concerned about carcass removal when the inevitable happen which I assume will be soon in any event.
I am not unduly sentimental about the sheep - they are ugly blighters with attitude and bad feet.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: taking in someones ancient sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 02:13:15 pm »
It’s CPH not CPN. No you can’t take untagged sheep and you will need to record the movement with a movement license which will open up a can of worms with trading standards/animal health as your neighbour doesn’t have a CPH. So in all honestly I’d leave well alone. I would let him have them put down in familiar surroundings before winter comes especially if they are old and have poor feet
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:16:26 pm by twizzel »

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 04:53:24 pm »
CPN!! That is something else in my day job :dunce:
Thanks Twizzel. You are right. I can see it would be a can of worms.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 06:00:23 pm »
..... a can of worms (or worms not in cans!) …… and foot infection potential …. why infest your land if you don't have to ….   and you would of course have to pay the £10 to £20 per ewe to dispose of them when they eventually do die. …. and possible vet medicine bills if they get ill before dying ……   :thinking:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 06:10:50 pm »
at that age his best bet would be to PTS quietly in their home, rather than all the stress and hassle (for you) of moving them... Not easy for him I am sure, but its for the best!

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 06:14:41 pm »
Hi   I am not sheep owner but i agree

at that age his best bet would be to PTS quietly in their home...........    Not easy for him I am sure, but its for the best!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 04:08:23 pm »
Our farming neighbour took in a couple of old Badger Faces in a similar situation to the one that you are in when an elderly neighbour was moving away.

Seemed to work well. He ran them with his own flock and charged a monthly fee for their feed, etc.

The agreement was that they would be PTS when the time came that they were too old to cope. That time came and they are gone now but they lived out their days happily and no problems caused to neighbours flock.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 12:07:57 pm »
Thanks ITH but I have decided I will not step in to this situation. it is hard but tbh it was about helping a friend - and I could see I could just add to his problems not take them away.  :(

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 12:30:43 pm »
I think the best thing for these sheep is to let the owner have them quietly PTS at home by a vet. You should be able to call a fallen stock company and arrange collection the same day if you call them in advance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS