Diary

Dalmore: a historyRSS feed

Posted: Saturday 29 May, 2010

by Rosemary at 9:29am in Anything goes No comments Add your own

When we bought Dalmore, we decided it would be interesting to do some research into the hisory of the house. Given our current circumstances, we asked Angus Council's Archives Service to do a search of the Valuation Rolls and we got the report back last week. We also bought some old OS maps of the area.

The first mention of Dalmore Farm and House is in the 1889/90 Valuation Roll, when it was owned by The Right Honourable Earl of Dalhousie of the Panmure Estate, per John Sheill, Brechin and the the tenant is listed as Robert Findlay, farmer. By 1893/94, the farm was listed as part of the Pitskelly Estate, owned by the Earl of Dalhousie, and Robert Findlay was now listed a a market gardener.

This remains pretty constant until the 1921/22 Valuation Roll, when ownership was listed as The Right Hon. Earl of Dalhousie of the Panmure Estate per R.R. Webster Baillie, Panmure Estates Office, Carnoustie and the tenant as Finlay McLaren, The Nook, Barry.

By 1953/54, Dalmore Farm (part of) and house is owned and occupied by Finlay McLaren. From 1958/59, the owner occupier was Mrs Mary McLaren and by 1962/63, it was owned and occupied by Lt. Col. Ian McLaren. Lt. Col. Ian McLaren owned and occupied Dalmore Farmhouse and Dalmore Bothy in 1966.

Our next step will be to look for the 1953 sale of the property in the Registers of Sasine, at the National Archives of Scotland and in the Census records.

Comments

There are no comments yet, be the first to comment using the form below.

Leave a comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment. All fields are required unless otherwise indicated, and your email address will not be displayed or shared.

Some HTML allowed: <strong>, <em>, <blockquote>. URLs will be converted to links automatically.

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS