Agricultural and Horticultural CensusRSS feed

Posted: Sunday 22 June, 2008

by Rosemary at 11:19am in Agriculture No comments Add your own

If you register as an agricultural holding, which you must do if you are going to keep livestock (pigs, sheep, cattle) or claim rural payments, you will get a CPH number (County Parish Holding). As well as allowing you to keep the aforementioned livestock and claim the dosh, it also presents you with the opportunity to contribute to the annual Agricultural and Horticultural Census.

Actually, under the 1947 Agriculture Act, you must complete and return the census form. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to £1,000. Penalties are also prescribed for "knowingly or recklessly furnishing false information". You can bet ours was completed in time, with no false information, furnished knowingly or recklessly!

For us, it's not complicated, but for others it might be a bit of a trial. The most interesting part of the form is the extract of the census returns for one, five and ten years ago - in summary, fewer cattle and pigs; many fewer sheep and lambs (nearly 2.5 million over 10 years); static poultry number; less barley and oats and more wheat.


There are no comments yet, be the first to comment using the form below.

Leave a comment

Please use the form below to leave a comment. All fields are required unless otherwise indicated, and your email address will not be displayed or shared.

Some HTML allowed: <strong>, <em>, <blockquote>. URLs will be converted to links automatically.

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2022. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS