Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The price per acre where you are  (Read 30792 times)

the great composto

The price per acre where you are
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:37:01 pm »
Hi  :wave:
I would love to buy a smallholding at some point but i will be renting locally for the time being.
I am happy to relocate but just wondering how the price of an acre of land varies around the country.  It would be a great help if you are aware of approximate figures for your part of the country just to give me some idea.
Have land prices increased signicicantly in the past few years? Is that going to continue do you think?

Thanks for your help.

robert waddell

Re: The price per acre where you are
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »
if your strategy is to buy into somewhere cheap     i think you will need to have a rethink        a bolder strewn hillside that will not even feed a sheep will be the cheapest and the dearest will be fenland that will grow veg to a very high standard     then you have  east verses west   east is dryer west is considerably wetter   and north versus south         then you have the possibility of development potential or not a cat in hells chance   a lot of variables and that is before you concider going up against the horsie fraternity that have more money than there horse could s**t :farmer:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:02:32 pm by robert waddell »

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:47:30 pm »
cornwall, as a rough average, bare land no planning or outbuildings between 10/15k/acre. up to with planning for 2 houses 300000 for 750sqm.

the great composto

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »
Thanks robert  - Totally agree with your commeent but thats the reason I asked the question so openly because where I am at the minute a relatively good piece of land nearby was sold for 45k for 3.5 acres with a public footpath straight through the middle. So the price per acre seemed reasonable but the land was not ideal.
I have about a fifth of an acre of allotment at the minute but i fill it with veggies & fruit which I find is easy to handle.   I have become more interested in the livestock side and was planning ahead ( arent we all) for a likely relocation with no specific reason to choose any part of the country in particular.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 06:25:33 pm »
http://www.anmgroup.co.uk/estates/bare-land.php

Agri land varies - 3.25-4K/acre

OR

http://www.anmgroup.co.uk/estates/development-opportunities.php

Development opp - 45K for derelict house with 1.1acres

Area: NE Scotland, Aberdeenshire.

Good luck

Sue

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 06:35:28 pm »
Pretty crappy clay based pastureland here in Surrey sells for around 10000 an acre now, and that's with less than zero chance of development.

Try

www.uklandDirectory.org.uk

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook

the great composto

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 09:54:41 pm »
Thanks all - some useful stuff for me to have a go at.

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 12:42:53 am »
Just for the contrast land with residential planning consent in Oxfordshire is selling for £1,300,000 an acre

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:43 am »
5 acres steep north facing with water and a shed... 50.000

Ian

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:57:12 am »
Now I could look this up but I am sure someone will know.
How many m2 are there in an acre ?
I saw a road side sign saying 9 Euro a m2 but it was on the edge of a village and thus more expensive than the many isolated places with empty houses and spare land.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

the great composto

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 11:10:16 am »
Mak - approx 4000 - so that would be 36k per acre approx

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:13:54 am »
being of an older generation   i still work in imperial   and it is 4840 square yards in a square acre    it could be round zig zag oblong or whatever it would still be 4840 square yards        :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 07:29:33 am »
We payed £7,000 an acre for our land a few years ago. Recently the field adjoining ours came up for sale, one and threequarters of an acre and the price.............£28,000 :o :o . We didn't buy it!!
Whether that is the going price now or whether the sellers were being greedy I can't say but the sellers decided to keep it in the end. This is South Devon.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 11:56:01 pm »
Noticed a rise in the number of run-down farms in the south-west for sale, always with an uneconomic size and with a house described as in need of refurbishment.   Prices look £8/9k/acre including the house, but that's 80acres and more
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS