Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land values  (Read 20938 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Land values
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:25:28 am »
How about we have a thread with approximate land values - if we all try to set it out the same it'll be easier to read.

2001 - Aberdeenshire - agricultural/grazing - £2000 per acre
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Land values
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:52 pm »
Very much depends on the quality and where it see Savills annual report (pdf)

http://pdf.savills.com/documents/ALMS_2012_low%20res.pdf

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:06:47 pm »
How about we have a thread with approximate land values - if we all try to set it out the same it'll be easier to read.

2001 - Aberdeenshire - agricultural/grazing - £2000 per acre

I think in Aberdeenshire its more like £3000 to £5000 now and I believe down south land it can be twice that.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 03:03:52 pm »
Prices in the south are meaningless though I'm really struggling with this one
http://www.bidwells.co.uk/view_property.php?property_id=OXF110002&property_type=rural

This is snowball's-chance-in-hell-of-building-on-it green belt land presumably intended for use by spoilt daughter's ponies.  At £32k/acre it may take a while to sell.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:46:47 am »
We are in the Peak District Derbyshire.  Prices here are at a premium .....hardly any land for sale, and when there is any there is a lot of people after it, hence the high price per acrea.  Most land is now sold by informal tender, so you do not know what other people are bidding,and  therefore you have to bid high to get it.

We paid just over £7,000 per acre, for two lots, totalling just over 9 acres.  Smaller parcels of land here go for a lot more.  An acre paddock sold for £25,000, and 10 acres near us has just sold for £10,000 per acre.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:31:26 am »
Land around here seems to be around the £3000/ £4000 if its good grazing but lately there seems to have been a lot of new houses being built with a paddock so I expect land is going for a lot more.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »
Sabrina your figures are probably more acurate than mine, the last bit of land I bought was £5000 an acre but I knew I as probably paying £1000 over the odds but it was right next to my house and existing land

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:02:41 pm »
The Crown Estate published numbers today showing that its quarter of a million acres of farmland was valued at an average of £6,156 per acre.   I don't know where it all is though.   
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 01:06:00 pm »
We paid £10k per acre in our last place in Scottish Borders but I would expect to pay less now - probably about over half.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:59 pm »
...and this is why buying land is a bad idea.....

Rent, you know it makes sense.  :P

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »
Buy if you can afford it - They are not making it anymore!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:29 pm »
Buy if you can afford it - They are not making it anymore!

That still doesnt make it a worthwhile investment, does it?

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »
Basically agricultural land has doubled its value in the last 5 years and its predicted to do the same in the next 5 years - Not sure you would get that from many banks ( google agricultural land price increase if you wish)

Second - You are potentially investing in a lifestyle for your family / yourself  - not sure that can be priced but valuable none the less

Third - If you own the land then any opportunity that's potentially available in the future whether its building development / diversification into holidays / UK or European grants etc may bring more rewards. This may not be in your own lifetime but it may be a nice inheritance for kids getting a couple of house plots in 40 years time.

Fourth - It doesn't die / fall down / disappear

A long term market but if you can afford it and can get it without paying daft prices ( small plots are always going to be slightly above market value)  i believe it is

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:00:13 pm by Big Light »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:14:47 pm »
A local farmer told me that 5 acres of land has just been sold in Talley for £53,000 and 7 acres went for £90,000.  He said no wonder farmers can't afford it but surely it must have been land with an option to build for those prices, at least for the 7 acres.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 05:46:58 pm »
small plots go for BIG money     the buyers always live in hope that they can build on it also there is the lifestyle with small plots      and these prices are nothing in  the grand scheme of things i have seen building plots go for over £200000  for a single house
1964    the value was about £100 per acre  and that was including the house and buildings
1990 the value was about £2000 per acre and still including some buildings
now it is all lotted up and the sky is the limit or depends on how big your pockets are :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS