Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spit roasting a pig  (Read 6668 times)

scottyboy

• Joined May 2011
  • forfar scotland
spit roasting a pig
« on: July 19, 2011, 08:01:08 pm »
hello can any one give me advice on spit roasting a pig please. I'm having a bit of a do and would like to roast a hog,can any one suggest a breed that is especially good for this i would like lots of flavour and would prefer a native traditional breed any comments would be appreciated thanks very much

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: spit roasting a pig
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:07:55 pm »

I guess the trick to a successful hog-roast is all in the temperature and the timing, so the pig is properly cooked right the way through without burning.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 08:56:14 pm »
Some spits don't cope well with bigger carcasses (depends whether you're making it or hiring it I suppose  ;)) But for a compact carcass with lovely succulent pork I'd be tempted to plump for Berkshire (or OSB, or Tamworth, or Large Black, or GOS ......... any of them really - they'll all taste wonderfull)  :yum: ;D ;D ;D
A spit with the option of starting the pig higher up and gradually moving it closer to the fire as it cooks is good, this avoids the outside getting burnt to a crisp while waiting for the middle to cook.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »
I've done a Kune spit roast and it was stunning :) cooked it over coals and when i do it again i will use a lot of oak for taste.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 09:17:42 pm »
how about a middle white? they are a bit smaller i believe, which might be helpful when there is a weight limit on the spits.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:03 pm »
depends how confident you are in doing this       you need a fatty pig so you get the crackling and flavour       sometimes best to get a professional in that way there is happiness  not sore stomachs :farmer:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:53 pm »
Oh and defo get a digital thermometer ........ essential :) 75 degrees + and you're laughing

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »
there was a really good thread on spit roasts previously that had a link to someone going through the whole process - sorry can't remember when it was though - not too long ago x

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 06:54:15 am »
Our local butcher always uses GOS, he says it is his favourite for a hog roast. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 09:14:25 am »
Okay, here are some of the existing threads on spit roasting that I found in seconds using the search function...

HOG ROAST

Hog Roast

spit roasting

Could you have added to one of those, or do we really need another?

On other, rather less laid back forums, they have an acronym - UTFS. Three of the words are "search" and "use the". You can guess the fourth  ;D. Now I'm not saying we should be less laid back - this forum is the best!  8) But in this instance, the benefit of using the search is not only to avoid repetition, but to keep information in one place to provide a better resource for the future.

Lesson (tirade) over! Enjoy the roast  :pig:  :wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

scottyboy

• Joined May 2011
  • forfar scotland
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 06:32:02 pm »
well Olly thats me told!!!!!!!!!!!sorry to upset ,irritate or annoy quite new to this forum thing so you must excuse me.oh! do you have a   preference to what makes a good roasting hog  or not      ONLY JOKING    thanks for all the suggestions from everyone and the lecture from Olly. you know you learn something new every day.  cheers

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:06:04 pm »
Hehe sorry about that stint of bossiness, well done for taking it in the spirit it was intended!  :D actually the two spit roasts I have done so far, they have been a welsh and a middle white I think (they weren't mine). They both tasted very good. Heed the advice elsewhere about the robustness of your spit, length of cooking time and having the animal well, well above the fire. You really don't need to turn that often either.
Enjoy! :yum:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

scottyboy

• Joined May 2011
  • forfar scotland
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 07:24:25 pm »
Olly thank you very much for your valued advice i will also take this on-board cheers    its always good to have a bit of banter cheers again

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »
The OH has 'created' a spit roaster using a stannah stair lift motor and we have done a couple for family parties after the one we hired for our wedding was a disappointing pig in glass cabinet effort which we wanted really to be the focal point of the party.

He's got two half of big oil drum either side of the pig so not directly under it, with handles so you can lift them up of down a notch to increase heat. We used middle white for the last one which just about fed 120 people. But will be using our Home grown Tamworths for my 30th in Sept!

Its a long day we are normally up at 4am to light the fire for 6pmish eating

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:53:59 pm »
The OH has 'created' a spit roaster using a stannah stair lift motor

Presume mother in law has to go up to bed very early on spit roast days !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS