Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hog roast  (Read 16969 times)

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
    • Ellister Islay Highland Ponies
Hog roast
« on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:20 pm »
Anyone know the best age to kill a pig for roasting it on a spit ?

And is it possible to freeze a whole pig if its ready before the required date ?

Thanks
Jane

robert waddell

Re: Hog roast
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:44:38 pm »
Usually for a roast spit it does not go by age, it goes by weight. some spits can take 60-70 kilos, the bigger the spit the bigger you can have you carcase. I would not freeze the whole carcase, just think how long it would need to defrost. If your pig is ready weeks before it is needed I would seriously think of buying a carcase from the slaughterhouse you use. If it is ready a couple of weeks before you need it, you could ask the slaughterhouse to keep it for you till you need it, there may be a charge for your carcase being kept in the chiller. I am unsure how long you can actually hang a pig for but I will find out for you.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:29:48 am »
Unless you were able to use a commercial blast freezing freezer the pig would take far too long to freeze for safety.  Then thawing out would be another risk.  I hang mine for a week when the abattoir are in a good mood, and less when not.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:06:07 am »
So if I let the pigs have less food, and let them do more foraging, that would slow them down a bit ?  Gosh how much more difficult - never thought about the weight mattering for the spit we're planning to hire.

My lops, which seem to be very slow growing, would be nearly nine months old by the wedding; the Tamworth x Saddlebacks will be nearly seven months. 

I believe you usually expect them to be best weight at around seven months ?; I guess we'll just have to see what they all look like, nearer the time.

The option to buy in a pig for the occasion is a non-starter; I don't want anything fed on processed feed.  Apart from the fact that there aren't that many pig-keepers on the Isle of Islay now.

OK - I take the point about freezing - thanks.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:34:41 am »
Check with the hire co. the weight limit for the spit. The carcase weight is obviously less than the l/w and if your x-breds are 7 months old, I would guess a liveweight of around 80kgs which would result in a carcase of ca. 60kg. If that's too heavy for the hog roast, you could save a few kgs by removing the head which although it spoils the appearance will do nothing in terms of reducing the amount of roast pork available.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:05:22 pm »
Thanks Mr Pig - that was my next question.  i.e. what would a liveweight of 80kg kill out at - without head, and legs off at knuckes ?

I've just spoken to the spit man, and he says max is 37 kg  :o  >:(

He also needs a generator for power, as it's gas fired.  Noisy, for a wedding >:( 

I know with lamb, you reckon on deadweight being roughly half the liveweight; how does it work with pigs ?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:12:17 pm »
Sad that he is cooking on gas.  Here its normal to use wood.  Is there any chance of your hiring a spit roast and doing your own?  Hard work but very satisfying.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 01:33:08 pm »
I'm planning a hog roast for my Mum and Dad's Golden Wedding Anniversary in September.  Hubby is going to build me a spit over a fire pit, I prefer them cooked over wood.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 02:03:35 pm »
My thoughts exactly.  Hate the idea of roasting over a gas fire - what's the point ?

Tho I rather think we're going to be up to our eyes in the wedding reception etc to have time to tend a spit roast for the evening do !  I can image himself in his kilt and me in my gladrags  ;D  The happy groom will no doubt be getting out of his mind and my daughter talking non-stop to all the guests  ::)

Not too keen either, having the piggy headless.  Will look at alternatives.

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:09:27 pm »
How many are you feeding? 37kgs is not very big especially once you discount all the bones. People tend to have good appetites in the opn air so do ensure that this will meet your needs. Maybe time to look at alternatives.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 07:16:03 pm »
Where are you getting your spit??

I'm trying to find one and youre only a ferry ride from me!

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:21 pm »
Where are you getting your spit??

I'm trying to find one and youre only a ferry ride from me!

Where abouts are you ? Presumably in Argyll ?

There is a gas-fired spit for hire on the island, but it has a max weight of 37k.  My pigs are more likely to be nearer 60k, I think. (Thanks Mr Pig).  We need to feed around 160 - 200.

I'm looking at hiring from either Hog Roast Scotland, or the Spitting Pig, Scotland - but they're all gas fired spits or ovens.  So I'm stuck !

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 05:25:10 pm »
Hi
I'm just on the mouth of loch fyne, you pass me everytime you sail home!

I wonder if that hog roast guy will loan to here??

janeislay

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Isle of Islay
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 03:10:07 pm »
Hi
I'm just on the mouth of loch fyne, you pass me everytime you sail home!

I wonder if that hog roast guy will loan to here??

I'll wave, next time I'm passing  :wave:

They say they deliver ANYWHERE in Scotland.

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 05:04:24 pm »
My friend does roast spits, they have purchased a larger one if you goggle "the juicy meat company" they would give you a price. 37 kilos is a waste of time to roast. For 160-200 guests a roast of 70 kilos approx is needed. My friend also breeds the pigs and they are free range breed outdoors and have done a lot of events.. They are worth a try maybe distance would be a problem but you can always ask.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS