Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommendations!  (Read 2846 times)

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Recommendations!
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:02:53 pm »
Hi, I'm thinking of starting up with chickens again, so I'd really appreciate any recommendations for good tasty table birds. I'm happy for info on hatching eggs suppliers and/or chicks, but I'd like them to be able to free range, be fairly active and slower growing than Cobbs. Someone close to Exmoor or Bedfordshire (or possibly Dyfed) would be fab! Thanks all!

Black Sheep

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Briercliffe
    • Monk Hall Farm
Re: Recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 09:18:27 pm »
Can't speak from huge experience but we're raising Sussex - mostly buff but a few lights as well. Have only eaten a couple so far but they have been great. Good dual purpose breed so a reasonable egg supply too - not sure if that is important to you?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 11:31:19 pm »
Are you looking for broiler or dual purpose?
If broiler either standard white ross Cobb or red broiler are fantastic if raised free range etc.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:59:27 am »
Are you looking for broiler or dual purpose?

Just broiler atm. Something tasty but not too fatty.

abc123

• Joined Oct 2018
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 04:34:40 pm »
Yep ross cobbs are good and also cornish crosses if you can get hold of some of these it would be worth it

If you dont want too much fat, give them a natural life with lots of free ranging and minimal treats.

Commercial birds are slaughtered at between 4 and 7 weeks but it depends how tender and tasty you want the meat. A good time to do cornish crosses is roughly 8-9 weeks fed on a finisher diet for 2 weeks before slaughter.

Also a tip from negative experience, make sure the crop is empty before you process them, i.e dont feed them for 24 hrs before slaughter, otherwise if you rupture the crop during processing you will be sprayed with a very smelly substance, and trust me, the smell hangs around for a long time. :roflanim: :yuck: :poo:

Different slaughter times and when the meat is ' ready' depends on the breed, how fast or slow the birds grow, and their diet.

Best of luck, and excuse the long message :-\ :eyelashes: :innocent:

abc123

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:43:55 pm »
We had a Saso cross with another cross mix from Piggots as day olds.  We raised outdoors.  We raised slow on organic system. Killed at 3m so big birds but that suits us as get 2 meals from 1 bird.  The fat is brilliant.  I wanted to be careful bring birds with any chance of illness and losing birds is not great.  Im not experienced in hatching or crossing but for the money it worked out the safest bet for beginners.  Great taste with plenty of fat.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:57 am »
We've had both hubbards and sassos. Our last batch of sassos were outstanding. I believe they put on more weight for the amount of food consumed than the hubbards did, and they tasted amazing. Actually we had one last night and it was absolutely delicious.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 10:39:29 pm »
We've had both hubbards and sassos. Our last batch of sassos were outstanding. I believe they put on more weight for the amount of food consumed than the hubbards did, and they tasted amazing. Actually we had one last night and it was absolutely delicious.

Out of interest where did you get the Sassos from I had problems finding quality birds. Piggots were the only company I could find that deliver as day olds of quality.  I like to see yellow fat in my birds and not stingy breast meat from over blown birds.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 11:18:08 pm »
Just from our local poultry supplier. Perhaps a bit far for you to travel to though, FW?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS