Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weather station advice  (Read 1766 times)

martcol

• Joined Aug 2018
Weather station advice
« on: August 24, 2018, 08:59:19 am »
Hope this is the right forum!

We're about to take possession of a smallholding and I'd like to monitor the weather this winter. In particular, I'm looking at temperature and wind strength/direction.

Part of the land is 500m from the house and not in direct line of sight so the wifi connected stations would appear not to be of use.

I guess I'm looking for something with a battery controlled base station, one that I can pick up and take to the house every 7 days or so and download the data to a Windows PC.

Any advice/recommendations appreciated. Don't want to spend more than a couple of hundred quid if that's at all realistic.

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Re: Weather station advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 10:55:30 am »
Hi

See this forum : http://sandaysoft.com/forum/index.php

Sandaysoft has free software that we used with our wireless weather station. One of the boards on the forum discusses equipment - may be useful for current recommendations.

Regards,

Sue

martcol

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:02:51 pm »
Many thanks, Sue. I'll have a read.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:03:52 pm »
We have this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ClimeMET-Professional-Wireless-EasyWeather-Software/dp/B00EDMLH5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535140746&sr=8-1&keywords=climemet+cm2000

We have the base station inside the house as the station is only about 20m away but you could have it close to your station and then take it to the house every few weeks to download data to a PC,  (We don't use the software that comes with this station but rather this http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus from Sandysoft.

martcol

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 03:23:24 pm »
Gribinisaf, that seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I've seen similar, but mains powered. The base unit on this is battery powered, yes? Any idea (very roughly) how long the batteries last?

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 08:08:15 pm »
Gribinisaf, that seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I've seen similar, but mains powered. The base unit on this is battery powered, yes? Any idea (very roughly) how long the batteries last?

The base unit can be powered by either battery or mains - we have always used batteries and they last for months.
It would need to be in a waterproof box if outside.

We have been happy with this setup.

martcol

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 11:52:35 am »
THanks, Gribinisaf. Sound like exactly what I am looking for. Cheers!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS