Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: puppy picking up stones...  (Read 4000 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
puppy picking up stones...
« on: August 22, 2018, 04:51:04 pm »

So we collected a new puppy at the weekend, and he is really laid back, easy on the toilet training, has already worked out which cupboard has his food in.... he is a 10week old lab. Now the only issue is at the moment that he picks up stones, and twigs etc he can find outside, constantly… How would you tackle this in a puppy this young? My terriers never did this…, so I am in a bit of conundrum on how to make him stop? treats? a stern "no"?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: puppy picking up stones...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:19:36 pm »
what is the problem?
My year old GSD constantly picks up stuff around the farm to carry around while i do rounds, sticks, stones, fruit and veg from the waste collection, etc... Means i've always got something to throw for him (apart from sticks)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:20:50 pm »
Yes, our German Shepherd was the same, always carrying around stones or very long sticks.  It doesn't cause any harm.  If you're really worried, leave things like Nylabone hard chews, or safe dog toys, lying around so he picks those up instead.  It would be a shame to try to stop him as this is natural behaviour and might stop him getting bored.  As long as there's nothing dangerous for him lying about
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:11:51 pm »
I am not so sure that the stones do not go down his throat… he has a nylabone and a rope toy to chew in the house, obviously not possible to leave those outside in this muddy weather.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:02 pm »
Hi Anke. What you're describing is quite natural for a labrador or any other retriever breed. They carry all the time!

My five year old lab loves to carry stones around and anything else!

They don't usually swallow them.

You could try distracting with a safe dog toy but you'll probably find that pup will carry all sorts in the early days.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 10:06:40 pm »
I have an abiding memory of having to have our young lab x-rayed.  He had a large stone, about 5” x 3” x 1”, in his guts.  Thankfully it emerged by the normal route.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 11:54:03 am »
I have an abiding memory of having to have our young lab x-rayed.  He had a large stone, about 5” x 3” x 1”, in his guts.  Thankfully it emerged by the normal route.

That's my worry. A friend's springer also nearly died when picking up a stick and puncturing his throat/airways with a side shoot from it, so I am always very careful and use a ball to throw. Found that most of my terriers weren't terribly interested (esp in bringing it back...)

I will get the new boy a toy to carry, and see if that helps. He wasn't as bad this morning, so maybe the novelty is wearing off....

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 12:27:32 pm »
You can train him to only carry acceptable items. We have always had labs and none have carried sticks or stones. I have a friend who's labs always pick Up stones an put them on your feet for you to throw... it's all about how you raise them. The stone carrying also wears down their teeth. They can become obsessed with retrieving and if you allow them  to do this with stones it is in my humble opinion not good. You must start as you mean to continue. He's not too young to learn drop it and he will soon learn the difference between what he can and cannot carry. The main thing is to never ever throw a stone or stick for him only a ball or whatever toy you choose.

It won't be difficult, I have read your posts lots of times and can tell you are a natural animal person so you will be hunky dory in no time at all!

Do you have any photos of the little chap?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 03:03:54 pm »
what is the problem?
My year old GSD constantly picks up stuff around the farm to carry around while i do rounds, sticks, stones, fruit and veg from the waste collection, etc... Means i've always got something to throw for him (apart from sticks)
The problem is that a puppy might swallow a stone if yelled at or approached.  A belly full of stones is a big problem
You need to stop him getting at the stones even if it means taking him to places where there aren't any. At least till he's a bit older and knows to leave.  And it's a good idea to teach the 'leave' command starting now. - For anything he shouldn't have in his mouth.  What if he picked up a half dead rat?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 06:19:22 pm »
what is the problem?
The problem is that a puppy might swallow a stone if yelled at or approached.  A belly full of stones is a big problem
You need to stop him getting at the stones even if it means taking him to places where there aren't any. At least till he's a bit older and knows to leave.  And it's a good idea to teach the 'leave' command starting now. - For anything he shouldn't have in his mouth. What if he picked up a half dead rat?

I'd give him a smaller dinner?  ;D ;D

I get your point, my boy knows 'leave it' fine, and it gets used when appropriate

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:55:54 am »
Our lab pups are the same, and yes, they do swallow some so it really does need discouraging. Leave chews out in the garden throughout the day, but pick them up at night to avoid slugs on them.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 01:31:01 am »
When starting to train gundogs I used to always have them on a lead, walking to heel on my left by about 10 weeks old . I always had an industrial rubber glove I'd worn out, washed then reworn all day to get a strong scent back in it with me .
Whilst walking with pup on the lead I'd " accidently drop the glove so it caught the pup . It soon took to picking it up & carrying it.
 When it came for off led training the glove grew into three or more gloves,. Pup was called to me given a sweep hand signal to come to me and sit at my left side facing forward with the glove still in it's mouth , giving it up command .
 At that stage  the pup was never left to wander about on it's own but was either on the lead or being worked in a game off it .
 None of them ever bothered with th e stick /stone thing as a result, which I'm glad of ,for several friends  have had dogs that needed very expensive surgery to repair stick damaged throats & mouths or have golf ball sized stones or rolled up socks  removed from their stomachs .
One friend had both of their English Spaniels put down after each of them were needing a fourth stomach stones removal operation ( they were refused insurance cover for each dog after their third operation )
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 12:33:19 pm »

report on a dog which ate 206 pebbles from a beach:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45445683

Being a news report I don't suppose the link will work for long.  I retract what I said earlier about picking up stones being ok
;D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:07:59 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2018, 02:07:06 pm »

report on a dog which ate 206 pebbles from a beach:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45445683

Being a news report I don't suppose the link will work for long.  I retract what I said earlier about picking up stones being ok  ;D

Couldn’t read that tiny print, FW!  Had to quote it to read it!  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 05:54:19 pm »

Bentley is getting better wrt stones, but still tries to eat little bits of straw, grass and esp moss (which the birds have been removing from the roof and dropping right outside our front door!).

We had the first trip into big town today.. well Galashiels, and I had forgotten how everybody just goes gaga about puppies…

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS