Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is this  (Read 7611 times)

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
Re: what is this
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 09:42:17 pm »
Received another 2 cuttings off this plant (see photos) he thinks it had white flowers.

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2018, 09:52:47 pm »
AROBWK, I've cut one horizontally for you to see, sorry for the quality of the photos, its been a long day out since 6 this morning until 9 tonight in sheepdog trials.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 11:58:39 pm »
I cut one of my Japonica quince fruits in half horizontally, and it matches your specimen exactly.  The flowers are definitely red - not sure if there's a white cultivar.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 07:57:32 pm »
Brilliant Fleecewife, then that's it JAPONICA QUINCE it is. Thank you all for your help

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 12:13:32 am »
Flowering quince (Chaenomeles) confirmed then!Have to say though that there are other species of flowering quince besides C Japonica and many hybridized varieties. I seem to think they are often referred to as C Japonica whatever their origin.  I'm not 100% certain that all species/hybrids have the same tell-tale 5x seed-pockets, but 5x seed-pockets does it for me (albeit, RTCman, that 2 seed-pockets have not developed on your pictured example).   
Not eatable raw even when ripe, as far as I know, but edible (quince jelly anyone?)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:40:03 am by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 11:35:37 am »
I’ve used quince in porridge, stewed fruit, etc.  I absolutely love it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS