Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What went wrong!!!!!  (Read 2892 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What went wrong!!!!!
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:49:07 pm »
My GOD!!!

What happened?

SHould I take it down to the local clinic?!!!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: What went wrong!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 08:50:50 pm »
oh heck that looks  a wee bit poorly, im so sorry but that has made me laugh, but on a serious note i hope someone can tell you what is up with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:25:27 pm »
It hasn't fully pollinated / fertilised. The corn only forms once the male tassels have fertilised the female cobs with attached silks.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:53:18 am »
Ooh!! my hubby used to run a clinic for things like that  :o  I had to squint to try and work out what it was LOL!!  yet to check my corn, think I better haveing seen yours. better luck next time  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:29:41 pm »
It hasn't fully pollinated / fertilised. The corn only forms once the male tassels have fertilised the female cobs with attached silks.

Ah right - I did read something about that on the forum a while back..... but ignored it..... thinking that - well - there's fields full of corn all over the place and the farmers can't all be going around shaking tassels and rubbing silks ;-)..... in public!!!

So I now have two questions:

Why does the corn in the field seem to do it on its own?

How can I get them to shake their booties next year?

I have to say these seeds were a great disappointment. Only one germinated out of ten and they looked like something you would find down the back of the sofa to start with!!

:-)

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:44 pm »

Ah right - I did read something about that on the forum a while back..... but ignored it..... thinking that - well - there's fields full of corn all over the place and the farmers can't all be going around shaking tassels and rubbing silks ;-)..... in public!!!

So I now have two questions:

Why does the corn in the field seem to do it on its own?

How can I get them to shake their booties next year?
I had teh same problem last eyar - very disappointing.  I just buy the baby ones from Tesco now ;D

I have to say these seeds were a great disappointment. Only one germinated out of ten and they looked like something you would find down the back of the sofa to start with!!

:-)

Susanna

I had the same problem - not trying them again.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:13:33 am by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:49:56 pm »
Dont forget wind pollination in a big field would be incredibly effective.

Try planting it in "blocks" rather than rows, and in not too windy a position, and when you walk past just run your hands against the stalks to encourage the pollen from the tops to reach the cobs.

Where I am I find it much more reliable when planted in my polytunnel

All the best
Sue 
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 06:35:49 pm »
At first I thought it looked like a sick courgette  :P ;D

I did as I was told in spring on here  ;) and we had lovely corn. I had 2 lots, one in the polytunnel and some outdoors. Indoors I shook them once the tussells were showing ,so they were pollinated. Once the indoors ones finished flowering (the male flowers finish earlier  ::) ) the outdoors ones started, so I took some pollen from there. I have even there 3 cobs growing outside! wind did the job . I'll definitely grow them again like that, would love some exotic variety, like red or blue corn. If anyone has any seed, please let me know! :&>

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:42 am »
Ours did quite well planted outside in a block, only had a couple that looked a bit like suziequeues - the chicks enjoyed them. We planted them inside an old coldframe so they were fairly well protected until they reached a decent height. Didn't shke them at all, but have taken on board darkbrowneggs tip and will run my fingers through their hair next year  ;D But hopefully we shall have a polytunnel by next year...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 12:07:46 pm »
We've had good and terrible results with corn. Hopefully if we get a polytunnel up, we'll get more reliable results.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS