Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: buying a cat  (Read 15335 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: buying a cat
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 06:10:37 pm »
I think the NO catflap is key here!! I want to board ours up  ;)  2.30am my siameseX (who has turned out to be queen of hunters) brought in a live rat, dropped it on my bed (on me!) and I freaked, threw the duvet which threw the rat on th efloor. it scurried behind a radiator and literally climbed up the wallpaper. Spent an hour with a coat hanger trying to poke it down so snowball could catch it but it was attacking me back. gave up, went back to bed with cat keeping guard. 7.30am rat-boy finally fell down (radiator was on by now and he was hot!) snowball grabbed him and dropped him into the open box I was holding for her. it now lives in another field  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 07:58:33 pm »
After both live and dead presents, we don't have a cat flap either. Felix doesn't go out, except on nice days and accompanied,  and the kittens (nearly 2 years old now, but always the kits) yell to get in and out. I reckon they can't yell with something in their mouths  ;D

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:23 am »
We dont have a cat flap. Spook shouts when she wants in and out. I also know when she has something to play with in the yard as her shouting changes to a kind of yowl - which is my cue in the summer to go make sure the doors are shut so she can't bring it in!  ;D

As someone mentioned earlier, I also remember when my daughter was a baby, Spook was a little put out to start with that she lost pride of place on my lap and pillow at night. She obviously decided to accept the baby and demonstrated this by dropping a dead mouse next to her ear where the baby was lying on a rug on the floor!  :o   Luckily I got there before she could grab it. *shudder*  :cat:

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »
I, too, would be in the 'no cat flap' corner. We used to have a wonderful tabby who loved to catch rabbits. There are few things worse than being woken up at 2am (when you know you've got to be up at 5.30) by the crashes and bangs of the cat trying to get in through the flap with a dead bunny. This was followed by a short silence then the ominous crunching of bunny bones as said cat sat at the bottom of the stairs munching his prize. Worse still was if he came to the landing half way up and did the dirty deed there, you could be sure of stepping in a bit of bunny bowel or something equally as squishy on the way down in the morning  :-[

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2011, 02:26:11 pm »
Aren't cats really disgusting animals? ::) ::)  Why on earth do we allow them in our homes after they have eaten vermin, walking on our work tops, across our furniture, having a lick of this or that and depositing goodness knows how many germs in the process?  ::)  Because we love their free spirits! ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

helskitchen

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Near Huntingdon
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 03:37:58 pm »
Our cats are totally pampered, I have raised them since they were born as I also had their mother (who some b*****d poisoned  :-[ ), we have a big ginger boy and a tiny grey girl, who love to be with us.  They quite happily drink milk, eat chicken and fish and have lots of cuddles.  However, when they go outside after their breakfast they turn into killing machines who have to bring us their contributions to the food stores.  We rarely find half chewed remains, we get whole with-not-a-mark-on-them critters ranging from pigeons, to baby rabbits and squirrels.  They keep the mice and rats away from the food sheds and chicken houses, to the point we are considering rescuing a couple more.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2011, 10:57:37 pm »

I've shared my home with cats for more than 20 yrs and can only add to the feeling that even pampered cats still catch prey. It's an overwhelming instinct, I think.

When we lived on Kintyre they were forever bringing in rabbits and pigeons, as well as mice, voles and even moles.

On several occasions I'd walk into the kitchen in the morning and find a bunny hopping round it.

gem

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 09:39:33 pm »
i still cant believe people BUY CATS, when i left the uk in 2004 im sure that wasnt the case  ??? was it ?  ???

i picked up 2 male kittens at a poultry sale yesterday for free.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:47 pm »
Yes it's true.  Very few kittens over here these days since the Cats Protection League got busy neutering them all.  I saw two at £50 each at a local petshop here late autumn.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 11:33:53 am »
I paid £70 for Snowball my siameseX. Its been a good investment in some ways (she's chief ratter) but having watched her chase a wild bunny up the middle of the road (busy road that is) yesterday I am now living in fear of losing yet another cat.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 10:32:45 am »
I have 4 adult cats and currently 6 kittens who will hopefully be sold shortly as they're at the homewrecking stage now ::)

I can safely say that feeding cats does not diminish hunting capacity, it just keeps them near to home so they keep the house and buildings rodent free and the garden bunny free rather than straying further afield to get a meal :)

My catflap has become just a hole in the door after one cat brought a bunny in at high speed and trashed the flap - finding feathers, back legs of something or a stomach lying on the floor is not great fun but I live with that rather than mice running across the living room carpet and kitchen surfaces which I had before the cats arrived ;)
i got 4 kittens from a feral cat i have how much you selling yours for?

So sorry I only saw this today, months after the question ::)

I sold the lot no bother at between £35-50 (gingers were dearer and went like hot cakes :o ) but I checked other ads at the time and apparently £50-60 is the going rate for moggies like mine so that's obviously why..

The neutering campaign has worked so well that there are frequently no kittens to be found in private homes or shelters, and given shelters seem to want "donations" which they set at pretty much the same price as buying, I'm not sure what the difference is except that as a charity they get a lot of free support, pay less or no tax on their income and give people a sense they are doing a good thing by buying from them rather than someone who has had to raise the kittens off their own finances and clean their own carpets ;D but maybe had a good time doing it :D

All my girls are now neutered so no more kittens here since January when I got a deal from the local cat rescue to put 3 girls through them for £100 in return for trapping the local feral tom for them which they'd failed to catch in the last 3 years - took me a couple of nights ;)  The one I had done at the vet was £100 just for one which was one of the reasons I didn't get another done until this opportunity came up while chatting to the cat lady ::)

Interestingly a lot of folk don't think they should pay for kittens at all but would pay £500 for what is basically a crossbreed mongrel with a made up designer label name ::)  Breeders of both put masses of effort, time and money in extra feeding for the mums not to mention all the things kittens/puppies need from weaning foods wormers etc, so I reckon it's a throwback to when kittens were commonplace on every farm all year round and folk were glad to give them away. 

So the pressure to neuter has in effect made kittens rare enough that the charities that put that pressure on can now make good money from selling the kittens donated to them or birthed by trapped ferals, while calling it an act of charity with a fixed "donation", while all the folk that would have given kittens away now can't afford to if they've paid the costs of breeding them which vets and feed companies/supermarkets have now created to serve THEIR business interests, AND those folk that try and cover a few of the many costs get slagged for not neutering by folk that either work for one of those charities or commercial interests, believe those organisations' marketing campaigns, or are old enough to remember that kittens used to be free ::)

Go figure - the politics and commercial interests win over ordinary folk yet again ::) whether they breed and pay feed and vet costs or don't and buy their cats from charities and pay the feed and vet costs from that point on ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS