Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: buying a cat  (Read 15336 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
Re: buying a cat
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 05:54:14 pm »
we are in paignton at the moment but looking to move to somewhere with a bit more land!! where abouts are you? we have heard of blue cross so may have a look there aswell!   :cat:

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 09:37:47 pm »
not all cats are good hunters though, mine isnt interested, i can rear chicks in open boxes with her in the same room and she never looks near them, total woose, doesnt play much either. she does like to sit on laps though. ::)

mandy

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 12:14:20 pm »
we are in paignton at the moment but looking to move to somewhere with a bit more land!! where abouts are you? we have heard of blue cross so may have a look there aswell!   :cat:

We are in Newton Abbot. Are you looking for somewhere to rent or buy? I'll keep my eyes and ears open

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2010, 05:58:17 pm »
looking 2 buy, me and my partner, her brother and her mum are all looking to move together somewhere with at least 10 acres, a barn or stables and an annex or seperate cottage! anywhere in south devon really, very much like the villages outside of totnes and newton abbot such as avonwick, ipplepen, south brent etc! many thanks if you see any thing give us a shout we have looked pretty hard and found a few places we are keeping an eye on!    ;D :farmer:

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »
I have 4 adult cats and currently 6 kittens who will hopefully be sold shortly as they're at the homewrecking stage now ::)

I can safely say that feeding cats does not diminish hunting capacity, it just keeps them near to home so they keep the house and buildings rodent free and the garden bunny free rather than straying further afield to get a meal :)

My catflap has become just a hole in the door after one cat brought a bunny in at high speed and trashed the flap - finding feathers, back legs of something or a stomach lying on the floor is not great fun but I live with that rather than mice running across the living room carpet and kitchen surfaces which I had before the cats arrived ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 08:39:46 pm »
I have 4 adult cats and currently 6 kittens who will hopefully be sold shortly as they're at the homewrecking stage now ::)

I can safely say that feeding cats does not diminish hunting capacity, it just keeps them near to home so they keep the house and buildings rodent free and the garden bunny free rather than straying further afield to get a meal :)

My catflap has become just a hole in the door after one cat brought a bunny in at high speed and trashed the flap - finding feathers, back legs of something or a stomach lying on the floor is not great fun but I live with that rather than mice running across the living room carpet and kitchen surfaces which I had before the cats arrived ;)
i got 4 kittens from a feral cat i have how much you selling yours for?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 08:52:15 am »
We only had visitors through the flap once and presents she tends to eat herself, leaving only the gall bladder  :P The old lady only uses it at night, at daytime she prefer complaining until we open the door anyway, so this was a bit of a waste of money ;D
We rescued her from a house where she was considered the troublemaker and now she is the happiest and most content cat, being sole emperess of the household.
She sleeps indoors but is a great mouser - - - - hunting is an instinct they never loose, hence all the stupid toys you can buy for housebound cats - to simulate a hunt :chook: :&>

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 01:03:25 pm »
My cat I rescued as a kitten and for the first 8 years of her life lived with me in a town and caught nada - in fact she was so timid she was chased by everything - I have seen her run in doors while being being bombed by birds.

However we moved to the country and for the last 4 years she has lost half her weight in running around catching everything that moves. She is still spoilt rotten and fed daily - I think she just spends more time outside now to avoid the kids we had at the same time as moving.
 ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 09:29:31 am »
A happy well fed cat will have more energy to go hunting than a cat who has to go hunting to get food. We bought my kitten in July at a pet shop- not something I would nomally recommend- but, he is the friendliest cat I have ever had, and not only that he isn't 6 months old yet, and I have already seen him catching mice. He also caught a rat 2 night ago- though the jack russell stole it straight off him before he had a chance to kill it. I don't ever remember a cat catching rats that young.

Beth

Tabbycat

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 05:51:08 am »
Just to echo what's been said - it's the well-fed, much-petted cats who are the best mousers, both because they aren't in a hurry (they can sit and watch a mousehole for hours), they have the leisure to be playful (which, let's face it, is what most mouse-slaughter entails for cats) and also they have a strong desire to please their pet humans with 'treats' - or else to teach them to hunt mice!

I shall never forget my baby son's first Christmas - I was cooking breakfast in the kitchen and my son was on the floor in one of those bouncy-seats - when I looked over and saw that one of our cats, very much the 'senior' one too, had kindly brought my son a half-dead mouse and was trying to interest him in playing with it. I am sure that cat still blames me for the fact that my son remains a rubbish mouser!

Seriously, though, good luck with finding a rescue cat. Given the state of the economy etc I am sure there are a huge number of wonderful cats who would be all too happy to do a bit of mouse-hunting for you.  :(

hairyhetty

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 02:43:58 pm »
we moved to our farm and asked for 2 feral cats off cpl, we didnt mind what they were and presumed they would be good mousers! one had one eye and the other had no teeth. we put them in the barn but once we opened the doors 2 weeks later they moved themselves to the warmer garage. they slept there for 4 years til they died (they were late teens and one had cancer!) nevermind! our other 2  pet cats live in our garage and hunt reg but are also well fed. they dont come in house cos one is shy and put off by dogs and kids, and other will sneak upstairs to poo on my paperwork! we had a goodmouser that we got from cats home as kitten, but she moved herself in with neighbour and we rarely see her! just one thing which we didnt think of at time, our 1st 2 feral cats had health problems and looked bit odd and tatty b4 we had them, which didnt bother us but did bother our customers that visited farm and im sure they thought we neglected them, which wasnt the impression we wanted to give with a new business. wev had a few older chicks killed by our cat though he doesnt kill the hens. i think a good farm cat is an asset though with feed stored etc. good luck

hairyhetty

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 02:46:16 pm »
also our ginger cat follows us all over farm, whether were fencing / walking, hes there with us! and will travel long distances to be part of our gang! ha

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 04:32:55 pm »
My cat came from the Blue Cross when he was 10 months old. He has his own fleecy bed next to the woodburner and will be on your lap as soon as you sit down! It's rare to have a day when he brings is less that 3 or 4 presents ... rats, mice, grass snakes, birds, frogs, next doors hamster  :-\ :o he almost a bit too good at hunting!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 05:17:05 pm »
Grass snakes  :o  oh my life, I think I'd pass out!! I can cope with things wiht fur and feathers being brought in (just about - my FB friends know about my escapades with live rats lately!) but a snake - EEEEK!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 05:36:21 pm »
Grass snakes  :o  oh my life, I think I'd pass out!! I can cope with things wiht fur and feathers being brought in (just about - my FB friends know about my escapades with live rats lately!) but a snake - EEEEK!
I've had a live rat experience too!  Played with while I was on the phone then eaten alive as I watched. ::) :'(  Got new doors put on soon after with NO catflap! >:( >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS