Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Coop building advice  (Read 9448 times)

OverWyreGrower

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Lancashire
    • Mistress of Meals - Blog
Re: Chicken Coop building advice
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:00 am »
We have modified a shed for our birds... pics as below....
Our ducks sleep on the bottom and the hens on the perches above.  Nest boxes are in the middle.  The flat 'droppings board' under the perches is covered with lino (not stuck down), which means it can be removed, scrubbed down and/or replaced
The pop-hole was bought from eBay and attached.  My hubby made the ramp and upper door.

20 chickens, 8 ducks, 2 Boxers, 1 polytunnel, 1 orchard, 1 longsuffering husband!

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 07:40:42 pm »
Wow, so many questions...so few answers !. I guess wev'e got a lot to learn. The hens all look in good health, 2 of them have not developed their combs fully and still look a bit gangly. The 2 Reds do look (to us anyway) ready to go. I guess we will have to be paatient and wait for our first egg. I have another question, today we erected a 50mts length of electric chicken wire to make a compound for the winter months. We have used Carol's old energizer from her horse electric fencing......is this OK ?. Do horse and poultry fencing have the same energizer ?. Shortly after getting them into the new compound there was a loud squawking, presumably one of them touched the fencing, and we do not want to harm them if we are using the wrong energizer. Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Badger

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2010, 01:55:50 pm »
Love your shed OverWyre nice little combo :)

Still waiting to get the roof on my chicken shed .. it seems the piece of wood that runs centrally at the apex is warped so I have to go buy another piece.  :-\ hopefully going to get that today along with the uprights for the pen then finish it off tomorrow.

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 05:30:40 pm »
Hooray!!!! 1st egg today....found it in the middle of the lawn, so we don't know which hen laid it. Much excitement, and tomorrow we are moving them into their new large coop.Thanks to everybody who gave advice on last weeks post.

Badger ;D ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 09:53:44 pm »
get some china eggs (or plastic ones nowadays) and lay them into the nest boxes, otherwise hens will not know (and learn) where to lay. The first few ones are always "dropped" somewhere in route to somewhere else..

countryweespirit

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 11:28:34 pm »
The pictures are really good.  I will try and learn as much as I can and get my shed adapted before I take the plunge and get the chickens.  Lots of good advice  :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS