Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicken Coop building advice  (Read 9447 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Chicken Coop building advice
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:31:12 am »
Hi, We are new at keeping chickens, we have 4 which we brought from an old Suffolk farmer 3 months ago. They are superb birds, only problem though... they are not laying. They free range during the day, at night they happily go into a coop with attached run a friend made and gave to me. I think the house is to small, the perches are almost on the floor (due to the restricted height in the coop). The nesting box is a small communal affair. It has been suggested that the hens are not comfortable, and that is why they are not laying. I want to build a much larger coop (for say up to 12 birds), I am looking for advice on the dimensions of the house, dimensions of nesting boxes, size and height of perches...in short everything !. Does anybody know of a book which might help, giving advice on building etc, any help would be much appreciated. Thankyou

Badger ???

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Chicken Coop building advice
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:33:02 am »
have you had an egg hunt where they wander during the day you might find a surprise under a bush somewhere

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:30:15 am »
What breed of hens are they, and how old?

As for coop dimensions, they say 1 square foot for each bird, 14" square for the nest boxes, perch space 1ft per bird and perch height depends on breed, if light they like it high, if heavy they prefer it low. Take into consideration ease of cleaning also.

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:51:20 am »
We have 2 Rhode Islands, a Marran ?, and a Light Sussex. We were told they were a couple of weeks from laying 3 months ago. We have searched the garden for hidden eggs, but have found nothing so far. More questions on coops. If I build a coop for say 10 birds, do I have to have 10 nesting boxes ?. Should the nest boxes be raised from the floor level, so that the birds have to fly up to them ?. I wonder if anyone has a similar sized coop that I could have a photo of, or dimensions.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 10:57:26 am »

read tis thread about nest boxes helped me out with building my first coop

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php/topic,9819.0.html

think about ease of cleaning out its something i neglected and am already planning the chicken coop mark II.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:03:25 am »
I would expect those breeds to be laying by about 24 weeks old. Are the comb and wattles nice and red and obvious?

I have 2 cheap chinese import coops bought from ebay, they are not ideal according to the experts but the chooks do fine in them. If you are concerned about nest boxes why not get a couple of sturdy cardboard boxes, tape them up, cut a hole in the front, line them with shavings or straw and place them under a tree/shrub/secluded place. You don't need one box per hen, likely you will find they all lay in the same place anyway. Another way to make the nest more private is to tack a black polythene curtain over the front of their existing nest box.
Coops tend to have nest boxes at or near floor level and perches higher than that.

A coop that is 3' x 4' will comfortably hold 10 large fowl sized birds.
Many people simply convert an old shed for coop purposes, add some boxes on the floor for nesting, perches at varying levels, perches should be made of wood approx 2" thick and rounded, and bobs your uncle, a comfortable house for chooks, that's easy for you to clean. Make sure it's leak free and draught proof.

Samantha

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Bristol
    • Merry Meet
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 12:02:46 pm »
Hi there :)

I'm no expert but have you tried keeping them in their pen for a day or so that way if they are laying you can easily find the eggs?

I am building a new chicken pen / house for my layers which consists of a 6x4 shed from B&Q which i found was the cheapest for a new shed. the enclosed pen area I am building will be 8ft x 6ft.

My first chickens were in a similar set up and my perches were just off the floor .. this time I am going to make some at different levels with little ramps and things.

I would be happy to share the plans I have if you are interested :)

Sam

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:29:12 pm »
i bought this book for £2.00 on amazon only a paper back got everything you will ever need to know it is called building chicken coops by gail damerow

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 01:12:25 pm »
Hi there :)

I'm no expert but have you tried keeping them in their pen for a day or so that way if they are laying you can easily find the eggs?

I am building a new chicken pen / house for my layers which consists of a 6x4 shed from B&Q which i found was the cheapest for a new shed. the enclosed pen area I am building will be 8ft x 6ft.

My first chickens were in a similar set up and my perches were just off the floor .. this time I am going to make some at different levels with little ramps and things.

I would be happy to share the plans I have if you are interested :)

Sam

I would be very interested in your plans please. I am also considering the adapted shed route.

Badger

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 01:14:10 pm »
i bought this book for £2.00 on amazon only a paper back got everything you will ever need to know it is called building chicken coops by gail damerow

Thanks for that, I will search Amazon.

Badger

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:44 pm »
hi,we keep 12 birds in a 8x6 shed,our run is about 30ft square around the shed but they still free range if they want as its only 3ft high,mainly just to keep the ducks in.......our nest boxes are old pet carriers with the doors taken off!we get loads of eggs and you can pick up second hand carriers at farm sales and e bay for a few quid.we screwed them down onto a shelf about 2 ft up in the shed and the perches about 3 ft up on the other side...good luck :chook: :) :chook:
'can't rain all the time!'

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 03:49:10 pm »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=buiding+chicken+coops&x=0&y=0  here is the link for that book only small but holds all the relevent information!!

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 07:21:46 pm »
hi,we keep 12 birds in a 8x6 shed,our run is about 30ft square around the shed but they still free range if they want as its only 3ft high,mainly just to keep the ducks in.......our nest boxes are old pet carriers with the doors taken off!we get loads of eggs and you can pick up second hand carriers at farm sales and e bay for a few quid.we screwed them down onto a shelf about 2 ft up in the shed and the perches about 3 ft up on the other side...good luck :chook: :) :chook:
Your nestboxes are 2ft up from floor level ?, do they have a ramp up to the boxes or do they fly up to them ?.
By the way thankyou to everybody who have replied to my first real post, you all are most helpfull.

Badger

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 08:59:14 pm »
they will easily hop up to a 2 foot high nestng box no problom shouldnt need a ramp! however i learnt it was best to put the nest boxes at about 1.5 feet up and the perches at 2 feet to ensure that they roost on the perches not the nest boxes, seems to work a treat

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 09:57:24 pm »
Sounds to me as though it might be a builders "couple of weeks"

If they were 12 weeks old or less when you bought them, they will only be around 24 weeks now.  The days are getting shorter, and the older heavier breeds are not quick to come into lay during the autumn.

Are you feeding them layers pellets, and no other treats, or do they have corn and household scraps as part of their diet. (ie is their diet not properly balanced)

Are they "talking" as in cluck cluck, or are they more cheepy. (ie are they old enough to lay)

Are their combs good and red, and their eyes bright and sharp (ie are they in good health)

Are they heavy and meaty when you pick them up or light and you can feel their breastbone a bit sharp (ie do they need worming)

Are all their feathers good, or are some of them broken (ie have they got mite)

Do they ever cackle loudly and for quite a long time to signify they have laid an egg?  If they do, and there are still no eggs can vermin, such as rats or magpies reach the eggs?  If there is wet bedding in the nest boxes this shows eggs have been laid and something ate them - even your own hens.  But if there is no proud egg laying cackle then they are probably not laying yet

You are at the start of a steep, but most enjoyable, learning curve.

All the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS