Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What feed crop?  (Read 2588 times)

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
What feed crop?
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:28:40 am »
I am still in the planning stages for all this but wanted to be armed with as much information as possible before setting out. We are planning to keep pigs just for our own freezer and then once they have turned over and fertilized the ground for us I want to utilize this area to grow some crops to then feed to our next batch of pigs. I know our local farmers grow swede to feed to their cattle is this the veg to grow or would beet be a better option? This leads to the next question....if you recommend beet (which I presume I could feed to the ponies too) where do I get the seed from in small quantities?

Thank you for reading this and I hope you can bear with my lack of knowledge.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What feed crop?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:50:09 am »
Hi there.  Although I don't keep pigs now I grew up on a pig farm, with the sows living outdoors.  We grew Fodder Beet for them, I think about 5 acres and that seemed to be the right crop.  We also had a Mill'n'mix to make mash, from grains, grass powder, milk powder, fish meal and so on, the proportions varying for the age of pig, with the milk powder added for the weaners (which were not outdoors).
Try contacting the big seed merchants to find who supplies fodder beet seed - they may be willing to supply small amounts, or they may be able to put you in touch with someone else who does.  Or google !
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: What feed crop?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 02:34:05 pm »
Thank you for that :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS