Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping quick-connect hydraulic connectors clean when connected to implement  (Read 3388 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Now, when I don't have an implement hydraulically connected to tractor I plug a 1 ltr plastic milk bottle (with slit cut down one side) over the cluster of 3x hyd' connectors - works a treat to keep pretty-much all dirt/dust off the connectors before next hyd' connection - it requires a very quick clean only. 
However, I'm looking for solution to dirt/dust accumulation when implement is connected:  old socks (with toe cut off) would do, but not I'm not about to put them through the washing machine afterwards and I only have so many old socks (and I don't think charity shops do old socks!!).
Is this something that anyone else is bothered with (or is it just me)? 
I'm sure I will find a solution that does not involve old socks idc, but any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:45:22 pm by arobwk »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
I'm not sure I understand your problem.. my tractor has rubber caps that snap over the fittings when unused so I'm sure your local agri engineer could find you similar. Otherwise plastic waste and overflow pipes come in a huge range of sizes so likely a size to suit with an end stop and something to hold it on. Or go one step further and drill out a length of nylon or delrin rod to exact size/depth... naturally everone has a lathe.... but you could do it with really sharp flat wood bits. Then just a push fit.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
No pgk' - I use plugs and caps of course when the quick connection valves (QCs) aren't connected, but so much dirt attaches itself around the QCs on the tractor that it's a real clean-up job before I can consider removing the plugs to connect up or, if implement mounted, pull the valves apart to unmount.  It's a chore I could do without, after a long day in the fields, even though it doesn't actually take very long. 
For when implement mounted and QCs connected, I'm looking to wrap the connections to keep the dirt off so that all I have to do is slip off the "wrap" to reveal nice clean QCs ready for disconnection. 
I'm sure I will come up with something (better than an old sock or bit or rag) idc:  I just wondered whether anyone else had the same issue and had contrived the perfect solution. 

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Now I understand. I don't have that problem.. perhaps my connectors are higher off the ground? Even the 4:1 bucket connectors don't get that mucky when i drop it off (to reduce front wt when topping slopes).
Best thought I have is to scavenger some radiator hoses from local garage to find sections the correct diameter..split along a length and snap it around??
pgk

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
foam pipe insulation, the type with a split along its length

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
Thanks kindly for the suggestions pgk' and Rtb.  I do have some spare foam pipe-insulation in different diameters so I'll give that a try first. 

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
No pgk' - I use plugs and caps of course when the quick connection valves (QCs) aren't connected, but so much dirt attaches itself around the QCs on the tractor that it's a real clean-up job before I can consider removing the plugs to connect up or, if implement mounted, pull the valves apart to unmount.  It's a chore I could do without, after a long day in the fields, even though it doesn't actually take very long. 
For when implement mounted and QCs connected, I'm looking to wrap the connections to keep the dirt off so that all I have to do is slip off the "wrap" to reveal nice clean QCs ready for disconnection. 
I'm sure I will come up with something (better than an old sock or bit or rag) idc:  I just wondered whether anyone else had the same issue and had contrived the perfect solution.

Would it work if you cut some lengths up of wide tyred mountain bike inner tubes , then slip the open end over the fitting  & slide it over the coupling once it joined up use reusable cable zip ties to hold it in place.
Or

Perhaps use a cut up marigold glove instead of the inner tube  if you can't get hold of any .

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:14:39 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Thanks kindly for the suggestions pgk' and Rtb.  I do have some spare foam pipe-insulation in different diameters so I'll give that a try first.

Interesting idea foam insulation .

( I have a lathe )
Swimming pool flotation noodles big size might be able to survive being turned out to a bigger bore up in lengths up to about a foot long if needed .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
Further to:  I forgot that I'd ordered these - pic attached:  I forgot because I ordered them ages ago and delivery was much delayed, but I can accept that there might be a "senior moment" of forgetfulness in the mix (although I prefer to think "too many things ... !").  Sorry about that.
They are not the complete answer to the problem though - merely replacements for tractor QC valve plugs that have reached their end-date - and they do change things.  I might need to explore cloddopper's thought about inner tube (as a stretchable wrap) instead.Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 09:53:03 pm by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS