Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Taking up weaving  (Read 3827 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Taking up weaving
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:49:44 am »
I am thinking of taking up weaving and am debating what is the best loom to get.  I already have a 24" rigid heddle, peg and inkle looms.

I was thinking about a 4 shaft table loom with stand but talking to a guild member she suggests an 8 shaft which I can use as a 4 shaft and then progress if I wish without further purchase.  What are peoples thoughts on this.

The next question is where is the best place to get a bargain?  Allowing for the minor detail I do not know enough about looms to know if things are correct and not sure that I wish to pay new price for everything.

My guild friend is starting to give lessons so I will have help in getting going and if I ever get even 25% as good as she is I will be happy.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Taking up weaving
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:34:22 pm »
Yes an 8 shaft is a good investment, many weavers do find they want more shafts than 4 after a while.  However, you can pick up older style 4 shaft looms for not much at all, or buy a more modern one secondhand which you can then sell on, for much the same as you paid, if you do decide you want more shafts later.

Dryad, Harris and Weavemaster 4-shaft looms come up fairly frequently, often £50 - £100.  May need a bit of TLC - new heddles, replace apron, etc - but often will work perfectly well.  Great to get started on and decide where you want to go with your new craft - what width, how many shafts, portable or not, treadles or not, etc.  Then you can pass along to the next beginner :).

Ashford and Louet multishaft looms cost considerably more, but will hold their value, so again you can buy a 24” 4-shaft, use it for a while, then sell it on if you decide to buy something else.

Or, if you are like me, you find reasons to use all your looms, and the flock just keeps growing...  :P

However, if I ever come across a nice 16” Ashford 8-shaft I will happily buy it and sell the 4-shaft I learned on.  The 16” is great for taking to Guild, workshops etc; the 24” I generally keep at home.  One day I may buy a Louet David 90cm or even 110cm floor loom, but for now I am not considering anything wider than 24” (which gives 16 to 19” wide finished fabric.).

Personally I find table looms very uncomfortable on the table top, so I always get the stand.  They are horrendously expensive, but to me a necessity.  Lots of handy people make their own simple stands, however, and loads of people just use them on the table top.

Post an ISO on Ravelry UK Weavers, and the FB group(s), and you are very likely to turn up a few options.

Also, keep checking Loom Exchange for new ads - there are loads of ancient ads there, ignore them, but check daily for something you’d want and act quickly if you see one.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:23:02 pm »
I have a 32 inch 8 shaft Ashford table loom and I love it.
It folds down so that you can take it places but to be honest its not that easy to haul around and I prefer to keep it in one place.

I do enjoy some of the 8 shaft patterns and it does keep you on your toes but it you warp the entire width then its a lot to do.

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 06:20:30 pm »
I have a Louet Jane 70cm 8 shaft loom, which I love. It does fold down but is too heavy to take to our Weaving group, but I use it a lot at home. I would agree, if you can find an eight shaft loom it will give you lots more flexibility, and something to grow into.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:30:37 am »
I quickly wanted an 8 shaft and have recently got a new-to-me Louet david which I love.
I'm on the look out for a portable 8 shaft so if you decide to start with 4 shafts and are anywhere near mid Wales I've a 4 shaft for sale.

It's 28" Lillstina table / counterbalance floor loom. In theory can fold down but rather heavy to move too often.  £250 which is what I paid for it.
Also got a warping frame and boat shuttle available as extra.

On Ravelry UK weavers there's a try before you buy thread so you might find people local to you who'd let you have a go on their looms to help decide what you want.
Or borrow from someone while you learn more about it.
Where in the country are you?  You're welcome to come and try here, near Llanidloes.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 02:59:24 pm »
Unfortunately East Yorkshire and mid Wales are just too far apart to take you up on your kind offer.  I may have to try and venture into Ravelry, I did dip my toe in once but got overwhelmed.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:19:35 pm »
Just go to UK Weavers and don’t get sucked into other areas for now, then you won’t get overwhelmed.

There’s a thread in which folk say what looms (and spinning wheels) they’ve got and offer for people to visit and have a look / go, so that might be worth a look for someone more local to you.  Linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS