Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat proof feed storage  (Read 2749 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Rat proof feed storage
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:23:30 am »
I am looking for ideas for a rat and mouse proof storage for feed for my 18 chickens. I have seen galvanised steel bins for about £100. Any other options?
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Rat proof feed storage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 08:36:52 am »
We put a wanted ad in our local rag for a broken chest freezer. We ended up with three, except one of them actually still works, so is currently full of lamb!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

u06jgg

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 09:23:38 am »
I got used Mango Chutney barrels from a local Indian restaurant. They are thick plastic and hold about 20kg each. So perfect for me as you can move them around and stack them. Working well for 2 years. I actually bought them from a guy who had collected the old oil from the restaurants to make into bio-diesel. Paid £2 per tub.
On a bigger scale, an IBC with the top cut off works well. A cubic meter of storage for about £20 2nd hand.

Lingon

• Joined Feb 2018
  • Uppsala, Sweden
  • The more I see of mankind, the more I prefer dogs.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:03 am »
I'm using a Knodd: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/small-storage-organisers/waste-sorting-bins/knodd-bin-with-lid-galvanised-art-10218937/
From the handle on one side, through the lids handle and to the handle on the other side, I have one of these to keep mice from getting in: https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Luggage-Straps/Pr407996000

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 11:06:07 am »
Old freezer here - upright one, lain on it's side and drawers removed.  End blocked up to prevent entry of small mammals to the compressor area.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS