Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scaly Leg  (Read 4677 times)

TG

• Joined Oct 2009
Scaly Leg
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:06:57 pm »
Some of the chooks have developed what appears to be scaly leg.
Looking on the internet there are various potions available.

Any suggestions as to what to use ?

Thanks
TG

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Scaly Leg
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:21 pm »
The trick is to smother the mites, Sudocrem for nappy rash on babies seems to be good. Sticks well in wet and soothes. We have a cockerel with a problem and Sudocrem is the only thing that has worked. We treated all the hens though and was funny to see them all with white legs.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:58:06 pm »
Many years ago when I was a complete novice a fellow allotmenter told me to dip their legs in creosote! We did, not knowing any better and internet not then the first place you turned too, it did work but i would not recomend it! Surgical spirit is supposed to do the job as is vaseline, i imagine the sudocream would do the same so it depends what you have to hand, dont forget to give the hen house a clean so they dont reinfest.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »
just get the scaly leg mite spray. if you want to do it more old fashioned smother the legs with vasaline. both kill the mites.

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 03:13:18 pm »
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »
Surgical spirit works

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:42 am »
use xeno 200

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 08:57:12 am »
use xeno 200

You can't just reccomend this - it is not licenced for poultry, you do not know the withdrawl period etc. Until you do then please do not recommend medical products that may be harmful etc.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 10:54:56 am »
i agree with sfs you really don't need to use ivomectin for scaly leg. if you realy have a bad mite problem it may be worth thinking about. the dosage would have to be very well messured. and i suspect that you would needto follow the same non usage times as you would for sheep or cattle. i think your looking at 4 weeks.

serously give the traditional treatments a try first andthen move on to harder treatments. you won't see an amazing change but the wee nasties will be dead. we bought some black rocks that had pretty bad scaley leg. sprayed with the scaly leg treatment and smothered in vasaline and they were treated a couple of times a week for a few weeks. don't try removing the odd scales most will moult off. though we still have one with a lump.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:28:26 am »
As an additional point - if you do use the surgical spirit method rather than a mite kill liquid it is recommended to dip the legs twice a week for three weeks.

Thanks

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 11:30:03 am »
i agree with sfs

At last - Im going to print that, frame it and put it on my wall  ;D ;D ;D

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 01:25:41 pm »
I had a scally leg problem about six weeks ago, used the spray on SFS and it worked perfectley. Sprayed when they were roosting at night and they semed to clear in about ten days.

Rob.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS