Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ginger Beer  (Read 14884 times)

gstar9

• Joined Jan 2010
  • east sussex
Re: Ginger Beer
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 05:30:03 pm »
thought i would upate u on my ginger beer attempts.........   not very good is the ansa, followed all the instructions but just didnt taste palitable, so tried another batch, after leaving it for the advised wk i put it in a demijohn all topped up and it is sitting fermenting away, now im thinking ginger wine in the making  ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 11:00:56 pm »

Well, a big thankyou for giving me the idea!  Since I didn't have any yeast available in any case, I bought a 'starter' from ebay. Just tried the first bottling tonight (this version takes 2 weeks in total). In short, perfect! We even did a side-by-side comparison with one from Tescos. Not a unanimous verdict, but personally I far preferred the homemade stuff...... and then I liked it even more once again after checking the ingredients list for the commercial version  :o.

So, 8/10 from me, and a possible 10/10 if I can figure out how to make it alcoholic!   ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Sandy

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 05:37:37 pm »
Womble, i may just have a go one day as I love ginger beer, mind you, I keep on saying that but one day!!!! :yum:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 06:38:32 pm »

Well, a big thankyou for giving me the idea!  Since I didn't have any yeast available in any case, I bought a 'starter' from ebay. Just tried the first bottling tonight (this version takes 2 weeks in total). In short, perfect! We even did a side-by-side comparison with one from Tescos. Not a unanimous verdict, but personally I far preferred the homemade stuff...... and then I liked it even more once again after checking the ingredients list for the commercial version  :o.

So, 8/10 from me, and a possible 10/10 if I can figure out how to make it alcoholic!   ;D
Easy, three quarters of a glass of home made Ginger beer, quarter of a glass of gin ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 09:50:17 pm »
I bet the same would work for WHiskey  11 :-* :yum:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 11:02:24 pm »
Yup, and Vodka! ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »

Hmmm, time for an update!

The first batch was superb, but unfortunately the second lot has turned out rather flat, and just tastes like sweet gingery water.  So, I guess I killed the yeast somehow - maybe got it too hot or cold, or perhaps there was chlorine in the water I used  :-[.

The first lot was so good though, I'm going to have to give it another go. Does anybody know what kind of yeast is best to use for the starter?  I've seen all sorts mentioned online, but that could either mean it doesn't really matter what you use, or it could mean nobody really has a clue!!  ;D

P.S. Sandy & Annie - your comments remind me of the old advert for Bells Whisky: "Great with haggis....... even better without!"  ;D

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:06 am »
 ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D, mind you, I do love haggis  ;)

oldwolf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Livingston
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 04:06:54 pm »
Womble are you saying that your first batch was not alcoholic?

If thats the case then your yeast wasn't working then either.
There could be many reasons for the yeast not taking off, the must could have been too hot or too cold, ideally about room temp.
If the must has too much sugar it will kill the yeast before it takes off, not enough and it wont start. These are the most common.
Without having to use a hydrometer to measure the specific gravity bubbles mean booze, the by product of the yeast eating the sugar is carbon dioxide and alcohol.
I brew most beers the same in a bucket till fermentation stops and then syphoned in to bottles with some sugar added to start a secondary fermentation to give it the fizz (Krausening sp.)
I usually use a general yeast such as the ones from Youngs home brew unless it is for lager, I have also used Muntons with good results. :yum: :yum: :yum:
'And the crowd called out for more'

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 11:18:48 pm »
Sorry, should have been clearer. The first batch was very fizzy (i.e. 10 minutes depressurizing slowly before you could open a bottle without spillage). However, the second batch never really took off at all. I'll make another starter and try again.

What I meant by making it alcoholic was well, MORE alcoholic!!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS