Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ginger Beer  (Read 14891 times)

gstar9

• Joined Jan 2010
  • east sussex
Ginger Beer
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:19 pm »
Im gonna give making a batch of ginger beer ago, found a receipe on the River cottage site, Has anyone on here made some? any tips or pitfalls to watch out for? Im thinking of giving small bottles as part of crimbo gifts this year  ;D 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ginger Beer
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »
Home made ginger beer is brilliant, and dead easy!  You can keep it going forever. I used to make it as a teenager.  Might even have another go now you've put it in my mind! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 01:10:38 pm »
Yes, I've done the river cottage ginger beer - the one made directly in 2 litre plastic bottles - ready in 2 days! It's fab and very easy.
The only thing was that I would prefer to be able to strain it and not lose the bubbles - it gets very fizzy!
After 2 days pop it in the fridge to stop it then pour through a tea strainer into a glass - yum yum!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »
I used to make lots of ginger beer, but it does get explosive.  I remember when I lived at home it was in the garage and one bottle exploded and broke my Dad's car headlight! 

Saw the HFW one it looked a bit feisty too.  like the idea of making it straight into the bottle though.  I used to "feed" a ginger beer "plant" for a week with sugar and dried ginger before making then divide the plant into two and give it away to someone else to make another one. 

gstar9

• Joined Jan 2010
  • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:34:54 pm »
Im going to give it a go this weekend and see how explosive it is...!!! liked the tip on putting it in the fridge for awhile,
I was searching through the internet and some sites seem to be charging a HUGE amount for ginger beer "Plants". If it turns out a success I will have a go starting (not purchasing) and keeping a a GBP for ongoing drinks  ;D   
Also cracked open some home made strawberry rum (to keep the chill out obviously )  and I was well impressed, very moreish so I think I will be bottling a few "taster" bottles for crimbo pressi's as well.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 05:00:01 pm »
I used to make it, I can remember feeding the 'plant' with ginger and sugar and keeping it going all summer. I used 2ltr plastic pop bottles. No chance of them giving you shrapnel injuries. One other thing, you can offer some of the 'plant' to friends......most of them will think you're weird though ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:56:34 pm »
Does anybody remember sugarally plants as well? ???
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »
This is how to make the 'plant' I copied it from another site but it's the same as I used to do.

1/2 oz dried yeast
1/2 pint water
sugar
ground ginger
juice of 2 lemons

Put the yeast into a jar, add the water, 2 teaspoons sugar and 2 teaspoons ground ginger and mix well. Cover the jar with a lid or clingfilm. Each day for 7 days add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon ground ginger. Finally, strain the mixture, add the lemon juice to the liquid and reserve the sediment. The liquid is now ready to use. For future use, keep the sediment and divide equally between 2 jars. To each jar add 1/2 pint water, 2 teaspoons sugar and 2 teaspoons ginger and proceed the process all over again, as previously.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »
Thanks, I'll give it a go.  We also used to make 'sugarally' - liquorice in water.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 09:53:10 pm »
OK now I am REALLY interested in sugarally.  Never heard of it before.  I have looked it up and somewhere it says, buy liquorice from chemist!  What?  please let me know how you made it - sounds right up my street!

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 10:47:33 pm »
I love ginger beer, anything ginger is a hit with me!!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 10:52:23 pm »
OK now I am REALLY interested in sugarally.  Never heard of it before.  I have looked it up and somewhere it says, buy liquorice from chemist!  What?  please let me know how you made it - sounds right up my street!
That's the problem I can't remember.  All I remember is we used long strings of liquorice and hot water, and left it for a time, but more than that is lost in the mists of time I'm afraid.  Sorry. :-[

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 09:25:02 am »
This is how to make the 'plant' I copied it from another site but it's the same as I used to do.

1/2 oz dried yeast
1/2 pint water
sugar
ground ginger
juice of 2 lemons

Put the yeast into a jar, add the water, 2 teaspoons sugar and 2 teaspoons ground ginger and mix well. Cover the jar with a lid or clingfilm. Each day for 7 days add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon ground ginger. Finally, strain the mixture, add the lemon juice to the liquid and reserve the sediment. The liquid is now ready to use. For future use, keep the sediment and divide equally between 2 jars. To each jar add 1/2 pint water, 2 teaspoons sugar and 2 teaspoons ginger and proceed the process all over again, as previously.

That's interesting! Not how I made my ginger beer at all! What do you do with the liquid from the plant to make it into actual drinkable ginger beer? ???

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 05:35:23 pm »
my recipe looks the same so I think I can answer!

dissolve a pound of sugar in a pint of boiling water then add 5 pints cold water and juice of two lemons.  add strained "plant" and stir together. Put into strong swing top glass or PET bottles and leave for one week before drinking.

The Deliberate Smallholde

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 03:44:12 pm »
If you've ever read Just William you'll know sugar-ally water! I made it as a nipper (water, black liquorice, sugar - leave for ages under yer bed, shaking bottles occasionally) and it was vile!! Mind you I don't like liquorice so perhaps it wasn't going to be a happy thang anyway! ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS