Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Holly  (Read 3771 times)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Holly
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:47:12 pm »
I already have red berries on the branches but by December they have all been eaten.  If I pick holly branches now with the berries on is there anyway these can be 'preserved' so I can use them for Christmas decorations?

Sandy

Re: Holly
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:24:37 pm »
I am not too sure if you can put them in a  bucket of glycerine!! (hope that not the sort you make bombs with ;)) I have a dull old bush but bought some fake red berries to tie on and at least they do not drop off or discolour...I would go miles to "steal" good Holly!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:22:27 pm »
;)  :)
Little Blue

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:34:22 pm »
You could try sticking the branches into some green florists foam and just keep wetting it - they might be okay in a cool place. I suspect if you tried to dry it the leaves and berries would just fall off. But if you've got loads it's probably worth trying a few different methods to see which works best (short of netting off the entire tree to keep the birds off it)  ;D

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »
get a plastic bag and slide it over the branches still attached to the bush and covering the berries then tie it off. Stops the birds eating them even though its a bit unsightly
Ian

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 10:44:23 pm »
I'm sure there is a preserving spray you can get from the florists.  :&>

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:58:20 am »
Mine nearly always drop off. I've tried picking early and keeping them cool but only a few tenacious berries stay put.
A thought I did have was to pick the berries and string them with a needle and cotton to dry them then tie back on to the holly when I pick it later in the year, but that thought came last year and I haven't tried it yet.

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22:51 am »
 whoooooooooooops  :-[ Just re read my post and it sounds a bit rude  :-[  I still think putting fake ones on is the better idea, mine were on little ties so twisted around, only a few pence a bunch and I want some more for this year (Christmas wedding) mind you, you end up with lots of scratches and sore hands!!!

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 07:59:01 am »
Thanks everyone for those ideas. I might try a few and see what works best.  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 06:55:06 pm »
whoooooooooooops  :-[ Just re read my post and it sounds a bit rude  :-[ 

lol, thats why I winked.... wasn't sure if it was just my dirty mind that would notice!   ;) 
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 06:58:21 pm »
just noticed when  re reading it after you said, Sandy ;D :&>

Sandy

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 12:04:33 am »
I realy DO have a dull old bush (of holly) and would love a nice fresh varigated one as I bring loads of greenery in at Christmas and love the effect that varigated gives. I keep having a chuckle at my post...I worry about my brain..it plays tricks on me all the time. ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 07:55:37 pm »
I I keep having a chuckle at my post...

.... So do I !!  :)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS