Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphan Lambs  (Read 3924 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Orphan Lambs
« on: September 06, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »
Dont they just test you to the hilt.

We have just lost the third Orphan Lamb this year, one from rattle belly, one from, well, I hope death then scavenged and one from i dont know what but she wasnt thriving and we brought her up close to home with a smaller orphan (who is now looking great), she seemed to improve but on Friday she stopped eating, she passed away this afternoon, if I had had my way she would have been dispatched earlier as I could see she wasnt going to make it but, OH insisted on trying.  Poor wee lamb.

I got attached trying to help her, RIP Little Lammie.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Orphan Lambs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:20:40 pm »
oh bless you and her  :(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 09:32:07 pm »
Did you Heptavac the lambs?

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:58:04 pm »
Yes, Heptavac, wormed (twice), fly treated and feet trimmed, just wasnt thriving.  Poor wee girl, she did try her best and was bright and alert.....right up until she died.

A learning curve most definitely, next time, a knacker man which captive bolt gun might be the order of the day....??

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 07:50:11 am »
Very sorry to hear you lost your lovely lamb . . .  :-[

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:16:42 am »
Was there anything obvious going on?  Did she have dark coloured poo, or a little bit of a cough?  Dark poo could indicate coccidiosis and a little cough could be pasteurella (although heptavac should cover for that).  Sometime even just a change in the weather can knock them badly.  It is never easy though and even harder when you have small numbers.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:26:53 pm »
Wouldnt say anything particularly obvious except for scour and then dropping a load of weight, she was lame on front and back on one side for a short time, we cured that with antibiotic but the weight loss an scour remained.  Her appetite was huge up until Friday.  She's gone to the fallen stock man now.  All the others are bouncing round the field, maybe whatever made her lame knocked her health?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS