Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our onions  (Read 5932 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Our onions
« on: September 05, 2010, 02:52:56 pm »
Here's our first efforts from the vegetable garden.

Stringing courtesy of this forum :-)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 03:05:30 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Our onions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:28:25 pm »
Brilliant - lots there!  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:26:16 am »
Cropped ours yesterday too but they are not yet in strings - yours look very professional  :)  It's a very satisfying time of year, harvesting the years crops and storing them away for winter use - love it  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 02:37:18 pm »
Just taken ours out last week to, the reds and gold are great and all tied but the whites not so good although they were planted in exactly the same way? Just ordered my sets of onion and garlic for autumn planting, so hoping to fill three beds soon.

Rob.  ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 02:46:27 pm »
Boo hiss!  I am so jealous!  My onions are about the same size as the sets I planted months ago.  Absolutely useless!  :'(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 03:03:53 pm »
Hi Greenerlife - that usually happens to me too and when it does I think I won't bother again next year.  This year though I planted sets through black weed suppressing fabric, having first dug in lots of sheep manure and seaweed meal.  Some weeds appeared but I couldn't really see what was happening with the onions themselves as I had cut the holes too small so only the leaves came through.  When I went to lift them I had a lovely surprise as great big onions were hiding under the fabric.  I have grown them through black polythene before and that worked ok but difficult for them to get enough water.  The weed suppressing fabric seems to be the answer for me.  I also planted some bought onion plants, which arrived a bit late and, like yours, they are hardly bigger than sets, so a waste of money - that was through the fabric too, so it's not a miracle.  Better luck next year  :) Now with the apple windfalls and some of the onions I'm going to make chutney  :yum:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »
hi i have dug up my onions this week first time i have ever grown anything this year, they are not huge things but they look good and smell lovely, yum yum

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 05:52:51 pm »
The leaves on my onions have fallen to the ground.  Do I have to wait until they go brown or do I harvest now?  Same with garlic.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 05:54:06 pm »
Forgot to say Susiequeue, your onions look fabulous! ;)

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:03:26 pm »
Wow, onions look great! Well done.
Lynn :)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:01:03 am »
Well done! Good stringing too  :)

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 08:46:25 am »
I was wondering have you washed of the soil on your onions before hanging they look really clean? Do you also keep them in doors all the time as i kept last years hung in a stable after drying and quite a few went of. With regards to the onion sets not growing have you put them in good soil, i havn't had any bother with them growing even with weeds around but they always follow last years potatoes so the beds are well manured and settled. Maybe beginners luck?

Rob.  ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:42 am »
The leaves on my onions have fallen to the ground.  Do I have to wait until they go brown or do I harvest now?  Same with garlic.

Once the leaves on onions have fallen over, and those on garlic have started to go yellow, you can either harvest them (if rain threatens) or lift them a bit with a fork to loosen the roots then leave them for a week longer to dry in the sun before lifting.  I lift mine without loosening as it is bound to rain here.  I then lay them out on mesh in the polytunnel until the outer skins are dry and loose and the leaves are brown and totally dry.  I rub these off, and cut the shrivelled roots short before storing them.  Any onions with thick necks will not store so use them up first, and keep checking those in store haven't got mould on - some will last right through until spring.  Garlic usually stores very well, but check every now and then that the cloves are still firm.  I grew shallots too and they are ready sooner than onions so should be lifted once the leaves start to shrivel - just when depends on where you live.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 08:01:47 am »
Thanks Fleecewife.  As usual you are a star.  :)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 09:29:30 pm »
The onions were dried in the wood shed on a slatted wood stand for about two weeks and then I trimmed the roots and brushed off the dirt with a soft nail brush.

I tried to leave as much of the skins on but took a little off if it was really crappy.

We made a lovely pasta sauce with first one off the string yesterday

I like the idea of planting sets in autumn under weed suppressing fabric

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS