Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Have I killed them?  (Read 9176 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Have I killed them?
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:55:32 pm »
I have 5 duck eggs in the incubator that should have started hatching today, but so far there's no sign of anything.  I forgot to stop the cradle three days ago, just remembered yesterday - will that have killed the embryos?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
Re: Have I killed them?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 06:00:44 pm »
I'm not sure Annie, as a broody will still move about a little & in turn move the eggs.

I'm sure temp & humidity is more important at that stage.

I'd still give them another couple of days before binning the eggs.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »
oh bless will keep everything crossed for you, i hope they hatch

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:11:35 pm »
I'm not sure Annie, as a broody will still move about a little & in turn move the eggs.

I'm sure temp & humidity is more important at that stage.

I'd still give them another couple of days before binning the eggs.
I've had water in much earlier this time because only 4 hatched out of nine last time, and the temperature is kept steady by the machine.  So temp and humidity should be OK
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 06:12:40 pm »
Can you hear any chirping or see the eggs move Annie?

fizzgigg

• Joined May 2010
  • bolton
  • catch it kill it cook it eat it waste nothing
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »
shud be ok ive done the same thing before and still had a decent hatch fingers crossed for you sweet xx

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 08:31:12 pm »
Fingers crossed :&> :&> :&> :&> :&>

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 08:35:41 pm »
any news annie?  you just never know......

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 09:41:03 pm »
I have 5 duck eggs in the incubator that should have started hatching today, but so far there's no sign of anything.  I forgot to stop the cradle three days ago, just remembered yesterday - will that have killed the embryos?

it shouldn't kill them... but might make them abit dizzy (!)
they might take a little longer to start hatching, if they try and right themselves.

just keep a close eye for signs, in case they are trying to come out the "wrong end" of the egg...

fingers crossed   
Little Blue

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 09:45:56 am »
Let us know as I am sure it wont be the first or last time this will be done on here ::) Just had a hatch this morning...6 out of 11 Swedish Blues so far.!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 11:23:03 am »
No sign as yet.  Just going to check the dates again.  One was put in a day after the others, and none of them had been in the fridge.  All had something in them at 14 days.

Garvo UK

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Essex
    • Garvo UK
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »
Hello No you wont have killed them, if they are going to hatch they still will so please dont worry.

Jonathan ;)
Producing Professional feeds for 125years

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 06:49:28 pm »
Hi - don't forget you start the day count from when eggs have reached the correct temperature so generally add on a day to the timings.  Plus the larger the egg the longer it will take to hatch, plus very old or very new eggs will take longer also.

I always give my Marans eggs 3 or 4 days grace just to be on the safe side. 

I often don't bother to take them out of the rocker until the first one begins to cheep or pip, and I don't think it makes much difference.  Early chicks will often hatch in the rocker, climb out and fall to the bottom and still be fine.

Relax and enjoy, and if, heavens forfend, any don't hatch, then just think that they wouldn't have done anyway

The majority of egg deaths are caused in the first few days of incubation anyway - its just the stress of hatching brings these problems to a crisis.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 07:03:29 pm »
I'll leave them till after Tuesday then - they were about one/two days old when I put them in and the incubator hadn't been on long, so lets say Friday was due date, plus one for heating time, plus one for new eggs - so thy should start Monday at latest shouldn't they?  As I said there was life there at about 14 days, a very experienced friend checked them at our CSSA barbecue on 22nd August.

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 09:00:23 pm »
Annie, any news yet of the ducks.
Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS