Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urban Fox Rehoming - Who is responsible?  (Read 8745 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Urban Fox Rehoming - Who is responsible?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 10:16:23 pm »
Just thought you might all be interested in this - presumably people searching for answers to questions find this and people seem now to believe the written word as if it is God's own truth :o

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_a_fox_vermin
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 10:31:17 pm »
They are a part of nature no doubt and do have a right to be.  A lot of problems are caused by overcultivating huge areas and not leaving enough wildlife for them to feed on.  I still don't want them to eat my birds - same applies to the ever so magnificent creatures released back into the wild - sea eagles - for that matter. All predators go for a chicken or a duck - easy prey if there is not much else around!  :&>

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 06:59:24 am »
well lets face it they do make a change from rat and bunnies.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 04:32:30 pm »
We have been trying to trap a fox for a couple of weeks now. It has taken 3 of my hens all in late morning. I am pretty sure it has been hand reared and then put back into the countryside as it has no fear of people or my dogs. A neighbour not far from me saw it trying to get one of her cats and when she shouted it just stood and looked at her. Its very thin, no doubt someone thought they were doing the poor animal a good turn but once caught it will be shot.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 09:44:37 pm »
I hate foxes as much as the rest of you. I have every desire to see them controlled properly, especially as I lost all my runner ducks, and all bar one of our adult Cayuga ducks this year to a fox.

However, in defence of some of those people who live in the urban areas where foxes are so rife, not everyone feeds them. They are living and breeding there, and NOTHING is done to bring down the population levels. I saw one today, for myself. I was at my sister's in Cambuslang (Glasgow), 4 adults sitting outside in the garden, and a child playing, 2 cats with us, and a huge dog fox also more than brave enough to be in the garden  with us. It didn't stay long, just as well as I was looking for some stones to throw at it. But my sister's place is overrun with them- they terrorise her cats by trapping them under a car and not letting them out. My sister went to a neighbour's party last week, people in the garden sitting at the table eating food, and about 10 foxes all in the garden circling because they were after the food. It is a problem in Urban areas, and I agree some people are hugely stupid and do feed them, but most don't.

However, all that said- I don't think they should be collected up and released in the country either.

Beth

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:36 pm »
gosh i didnt know it was that bad in the towns, no wonder they are so brash when they are released into the countryside

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS