Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calving with last years calves around  (Read 1977 times)

Rb

• Joined Jul 2018
Calving with last years calves around
« on: July 06, 2018, 07:53:31 pm »
Hi there. I'm looking for some opinions please. My 2 dexter females are due to calve in the next few weeks. I was planning to separate them from their current calves which are about 15 months now. But the calves stopped suckling a month or so ago so I decided to leave them all in together. But I'm doubting myself now. Separating the calves is a big undertaking as they are pretty nimble at going over all the fences. Is it a big no no to let them alll just be together with a new round of calves coming?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Calving with last years calves around
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:24 am »
So long as last year's calves are no longer suckling then it won't be a problem. I always keep all my cattle together as one herd. Even though no longer dependent on their mothers, cattle do like to stay together as a family, especially the females, and are more settled.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:05:50 am »
You may find that last year's calves will start suckling again when the new milk flow starts. The cows may or may not tolerate this.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:12:54 pm »
You will need to keep an eye that they don't start sucking when the cow starts to draw up- if she lets them suck they will suck all the colostrum away and then there'll be nothing left for the calf when it's born.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:17:14 pm »
If they do show interest when the new milk comes, you could fit the Quiet Wean nose tags.  It doesn't harm or hurt the mother (or the stirk) but does prevent them getting a drink, so they soon stop trying.  I used them on year-old weaned Jersey x and Hereford x stirks when I put them back with their mother, who was still being milked. 

You can buy them singly from the UK agent, although when you Google it looks as though you have to buy a packet of 10.  If you want some and can't find where to get them in small quantities, shout and I'll dig out the details.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 03:06:54 pm »
There can be issues watch for suckers.  As for Quiet-wean unfortunately we have issues of these falling out and with our AA herd we ended up with a lot on the floor.  We have gone back to the steel screw-in ones for the odd sucker. Disappointed with them. We have added a handful to our herd as running with new bull hoping not to see any milk stealers.  Its luck really.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 12:50:55 pm »
We had a heifer calving last year in the field, and a 6mth calf that had gotten clever at snatching a drink from the other cows... I caught the calf sucking the heifer whilst she was lying down pushing her calf out... needless to say we substituted with powdered colostrum  :rant:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:57:15 pm »
After a separation of 6 months one of my steers went straight back to sucking her mother when put back together …. no milk on here so after about a month I now see him sucking on his step sister who has a calf ….  Shetlands just don't know when to tell their offspring (or anyone elses for that matter) when you are too old for a suckle!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS