Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drinkers/Troughs  (Read 2220 times)

Cryptogamix

• Joined Nov 2015
Drinkers/Troughs
« on: August 20, 2018, 11:24:14 am »
Hi all,

I'm getting my first cattle soon... 3 Highland cows with calves at foot.

What kind of drinker or trough arrangement would people recommend? Will probably be using 25mm MDPE to connect.

Many thanks,
Joe

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Drinkers/Troughs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 12:33:19 pm »
We use these - but whereabouts are you?  If freezing is an issue where you are, you’d need to take that into account.  We usually only get one or two nights sub-zero a couple of times over the winter, so it’s not a huge issue for us.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 03:25:42 pm »
We use the same as Sally or the 90gallon version... don't under estimate how much lactating cattle can drink  :)

Cryptogamix

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 07:43:00 pm »
Thanks!

I'm in Mid Wales. Near the coast so generally not many hard frosts ... tho last winter was an exception.

Would you say one double drinker like that one would be enough for 3 cows and calves? I presume they won't need to all drink at the same time...

Joe

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 08:44:12 pm »
Yes I’d say so as long as the water pressure is high enough to refil quickly

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 10:07:39 pm »
Yup, for 3 Highland sucklers and calves, a double like the one I linked will be fine.  Will you also have followers in the same field?  Might be worth getting the bigger one if so, unless on good mains pressure.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 10:42:54 pm »
I would say the opposite as regards size! Given that these are automatic drinkers that fill up again automatically, you don't need anything like 60 gallons for 3 cows with calves. I use a 40 litre one (similar design) for 25 cattle, or a 4 litre one for 6 cattle in a pen in winter. If you have it too big the water never gets changed and goes green and stagnant.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 11:07:23 pm »
Well, we use the one I linked for a Jersey and her calf plus a Jersey x Red Devon heifer and until recently a stirk, and I wouldn’t have wanted a smaller drinker.  It’s certainly never green.  But it’s been insanely hot for a long time, and our water pressure can be quite low.

Oops, my mistake.  This is the one we have.  It’s 30 gallon  :-[
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 11:10:50 pm by SallyintNorth »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 11:30:13 pm »
Googling tells me that in Australia, a beef animal would be expected to drink 45-60L per day.  I guess an outwintering hardy beast in Wales would drink less ;). But then, if she’s lactating, more.  A different search said a lactating cow is likely to drink 3-4 x the quantity of milk she produces.  More if she’s on hay and or it’s hot and dry.

Our Jersey probably peaks at 15-20L milk a day (we don’t push her), so in summer when it’s hot and dry probably drinks 50-100L (11-20 gallons) of water a day.

I’m guessing each Highland cow will produce up to a couple of gallons of milk a day?  So perhaps each would drink 6-10 gallons of water a day in a hot summer. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 11:33:47 pm »
Our cattle seem to like to have two big drinks a day, one bigger than the other.  So the demand on the supply is probably 2/3 to 3/4 the daily total required in one twenty to thirty minute window.

Cryptogamix

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 02:10:09 pm »
Thanks for input folks!

We're not on mains, but pressure should be pretty good - would fill a 14 L builders bucket in 20-30 seconds I guess.

There will certainly be the 3 cows and calves, but youngstock may be moved onto a different area.

Joe

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS