Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pumping water from field drain  (Read 1421 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Pumping water from field drain
« on: June 23, 2018, 08:44:07 pm »
This is far outside my realm of experience so advice sought. I want to pump water from a field drain on my boundary to water the vegetable plots. The water level is about 1m below the bank and the vegetable plots range from about 40 to 120 feet distance (apologies for mixing metric with imperial). I thought of doing what the local farmers do which is to drape a pipe into the drain and a pump sucks the water up and then sends it on along very long pipes to the spray device. They use something like 4 or five inch diameter pipes and a huge diesel pump. Doing this on a smaller scale, perhaps using garden hose pipes, will something like this do the job?
https://pumpexpress.co.uk/shop/jet-ss-self-priming-pumps/
Or is there a better way of doing it?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Pumping water from field drain
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 09:14:39 pm »
I know that farmers have to have an extraction license to irrigate their crops and if not used within so many years (3-5) they lose it.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Re: Pumping water from field drain
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 09:29:53 pm »
Maybe a 12v pump (like a bilge pump) with battery topped up by a solar panel would lift water one or two metres into an IBC then gravity fed to vegetables?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS