Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raised beds.. Any tips?  (Read 17209 times)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Raised beds.. Any tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 04:26:01 pm »
thats brilliant not sur ewhat is happening with the pictures after i look at you site they are showing
strange

but it's a good way to recycle and maintain a structure cos unless they are easy to brake (i have no idea) then they wont be broken down with the weather etc like wood can

:)

JustinFun

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Gillingham, Kent
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 08:37:53 am »
it's a good way to recycle and maintain a structure cos unless they are easy to brake (i have no idea) then they wont be broken down with the weather etc like wood can

:)

That's the idea anyway! Haven't had any breakages yet (and wine bottles are fairly sturdy - they've had a few clunks with the garden fork), but because they're just sunk into the soil, rather than concreted in, you can just lift out the broken bottle and replace it.

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:58 pm »
my  god - i thought i got through a few bottles  :o - looks good though
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

katelock

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 09:59:29 pm »
i have raised beds as i have a small patch in an old quarry - we have very little top soil, so they are essential. HOwever, they have been REALLY wet these two years (not great years to start). i wonder if any one else feels that raised beds have retaned moisture more than normal beds. K

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2008, 10:11:17 pm »
have you tried a mixture of grit and sand mixed in to the compost ?

Linz

Pebbles

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Central Scotland
    • Ardunan Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 05:37:59 pm »
We've just finished planning where our raised beds and other veggie plots are going - over 20 of them (8' x 4') beside our 80' polytunnel (planning department approval pending  :-X) We've had some great ideas from 'GardenGirlTV' and are intending on making half a dozen 'chicken tractors' to move between around the beds. Her raised bed set up is pretty impressive. Have a look here http://www.gardengirltv.com/projects_with_wood_refinishing_furniture_shed_chicken_tractor.html#raised there are some great videos too....I nearly spend as much time there as I do here  ;D
Trying to be self-sufficient and raise happy, healthy animals on our smallholding at www.ardunanfarm.com

Championing local food producers around the UK at The Great British Food Hub www.thegreatbritishfoodhub.com get in touch if you want to be the person who creates a Food Hub in your community

Top Tips for raised beds please ...

Started by Red

Replies: 9
Views: 3643
Last post March 29, 2011, 01:59:07 pm
by Red
Raised beds

Started by Guy

Replies: 30
Views: 21231
Last post May 22, 2008, 08:52:17 pm
by Fluffywelshsheep
Raised beds

Started by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley

Replies: 18
Views: 5735
Last post March 04, 2013, 10:33:57 pm
by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley
Raised beds

Started by Crofterloon

Replies: 7
Views: 2611
Last post July 01, 2013, 11:29:59 pm
by shygirl
raised beds

Started by Ann and Rob

Replies: 10
Views: 4048
Last post June 09, 2014, 10:54:55 am
by Ina

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2020. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS