Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel at last !!  (Read 5214 times)

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
Polytunnel at last !!
« on: September 16, 2008, 07:54:19 pm »
It's taken us time, loads of time, but we've got there. We now have a polytunnel ;D It's the middle of September and we are in SE Scotland. The question is, what can we do now, right now. What should we sow or plant now that will give us a reasonable chance of a return? We think we should try garlic. Is it too late for some winter lettuce? Cabbage? What do you think?
Johnny
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

HappyHippy

Re: Polytunnel at last !!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:02:27 pm »
Hi Johnny,
You can grow tonnes now(or at least get them started)
Cabbage, carrots, peas, lettuce, cauliflour, broccoli, onions, garlic, sprouts in winter - the list is endless. Just check the seed packet for that particular variety.
I can highly reccommend the book 'grow vegetables' by alan buckingham and jo whittingham from DK press (it covers absolutly everything you'll need to know)
Post and let us know your results, I'm in South Lanarkshire & hope to have my tunnel going by next year (still saving for a cover !) so it'll be good to know how you get on.
Hope this helps and good luck,
Karen  :pig:.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:09:53 pm by HappyHippy »

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
Re: Polytunnel at last !!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 06:56:11 pm »
Karen, Yes it helps loads. I'll have a look for that book and perhaps this weekend I'll get the kids to sow lots ;D
Johnny
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS