Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pet lamb unsteady on feet  (Read 3631 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
Pet lamb unsteady on feet
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:09:06 am »
Hi

We have the last few of our pet lambs still on milk (8 weeks old) and one milk feed per day with pellets and hay ad lib. I found a lamb this morning struggling to get up and on it's back. I had to help it up and it is very unsteady on its legs and flops down, stretching it head up the sides of the pen. Does seem to be a bit warm and in all other respects is reasonably alert. Also has a very hunched neck when he does stand.  He is not overweight nor is he thin, but like all the remaining pet lambs still on milk, (just 17 left) he is on the small side for his age.

Any suggestions as to what might be the issue? Until this morning he had been absolutely fit and well.....

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Pet lamb unsteady on feet
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:35:03 am »
Could be many things.
But listeria always comes to mind when a sheep suddenly has difficulty standing. The infection develops rapidly so antibiotics as soon as poss is essential. Best is strep/pen, but tetracycline is also good. Best to give slightly over recommended dose and keep on with treatment even if animal seems recovered.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 12:58:43 pm »
Take to VET, sounds like a min/vit problem but as its a pet on powdered milk and lamb creep all should be covered .  Not licked anything it shouldn't ?   some form of ECHEPHALITIS ?  Not ran head first in to anything ? VET  :fc:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 11:37:44 pm »

Its not listeria (wrong time of year) its prob CNN.  High temp prob Pasteurella

No milk now should be weaned.  If neck is bent back then Polioencephalomalacia
(Cerebrocortical necrosis CCN). see Nadis http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/nervous-disease-in-sheep.aspx

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 08:09:24 am »

Its not listeria (wrong time of year) its prob CNN.  High temp prob Pasteurella

No milk now should be weaned.  If neck is bent back then Polioencephalomalacia
(Cerebrocortical necrosis CCN). see Nadis http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/nervous-disease-in-sheep.aspx

Is there a wrong and a right time of year for listeriosis?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 01:24:10 pm »
Listeria is usually associated with the feeding of silage /haylage so winter BUT I had a hill ewe die in summer on the hill that was confirmed listeria , very rare

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 03:21:49 pm »
I've had a few grass fed animals develop it. I don't feed silage or haylage.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 08:30:00 pm »
It’s been suggested to me that lambs can pick up listeria from lying and playing on molehills
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS