Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This year's abattoir experience  (Read 19203 times)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: This year's abattoir experience
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2010, 02:49:39 pm »
filmed by animal aid. anti meat group but the film says it all. a number of criminal charges and loss of slaughter certs for life. plus thr shut down of the worst one. two are organic/ soil association aproved
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_slaughter//2354//
gary i apologise for any digs.

Gary

• Joined Nov 2008
  • axminster
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2010, 03:09:04 pm »
Apology accepted and if along the way i have upset you i also apologise

chickenfeed

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2010, 03:11:17 pm »
 whilst the footage is sickening the groups motives are rather one sided it would have been better had they shown a good slaughter house as comparison, but knowing what they stand for they would be happy if all slaughter houses were closed down and we all became vegi. i personally have no time for such groups their views are very over the top fox hunting, shooting, horse racing etc.etc. i have even had such people pull up and break my mole traps and throw them on the drive  ::)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2010, 03:34:08 pm »
oh i agree there motive is very veggie/vegan . however there evidence is still valid. the slaughtermen would have been still working if they had not filmed.

chickenfeed

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2010, 04:04:18 pm »
i could not agree more, but a look at a good establishment would have been a better balance.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »
again i agree. but they of course would not. they are biased but if we discount that then we are still left with important info.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2010, 07:44:01 pm »
Just a thought, but after reading this post and having previously asked for advice on various subjects to sometimes get the 'rant'  on the subject perhaps a Rant forum would be a good idea, at least this way if you dip your toe in, you know what you are in for! This is not meant to stir up a hornets nest or anything, we all have differing opinions on all subjects, but when you ask for advice that's what you want, not a graphic description of how one human would like to maim another LOL.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
There are people who will abuse anything and anyone unless someone or something keeps them in check. I enjoy meat but I am very happy that Animal Aid managed to achieve the closure of that place.

According to Defra's Animal Health department, small abattoirs like the one we used may have a vet present for only an hour or so, whilst the larger ones have a vet present all the time (and he left us to fill in the dots).  

There have been a few questions raised here, such as why we didn't complain right away – the problem is that it was so unexpected, the shock of it stopped us from thinking straight and reacting like we normally would. Watching a programe on tv where you have some idea of what's coming is not the same as seeing brutality like this right in front of you – especially not when it concerns your own animals!

So why don't we now complain to whoever may be the boss? Well, there are a few reasons apart from those mentioned earlier, to do with names inc the name found when digging up information about this place, and one more thing which I'm a bit nervous of posting on the internet (but please do send a pm if you're wondering what it is - in fact, some of you might be able to advise!).

The first few days after slaughter were very difficult. I spent days constantly thinking of my pigs and unable to focus, I've never driven in the wrong direction so many times! My kind, gentle husband reacted differently: he was absolutely fuming!
It’s still on my mind a lot now, but the rawness of it has gone.
And it has been great to have this forum. Not only for all the moral support, there has also been very useful advice on how to take things forward now that we are over the shock of it all and ready to take action.

So what action are we planning on taking? Well, we’re following the proper routes as suggested, Animal Health etc. We’re also considering other ways of spreading the word to make sure others are prepared for what might happen at abattoirs and know what they can do if things go wrong – this way reducing the power of the bullies. Changing (trying to / helping to) the policy on vets in abattoirs is, as you can guess, also on the agenda.

I started having pigs to ensure that we had meat from animals that had been treated well, and I intend to go on with this. Compassion in World Farming campaigns for good basic conditions for the animals - ours get a hell of a lot more pampering than that! ;D.

I just noticed I put a smiley face in, a good sign that I’m getting back to my old self.

Eve  :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2010, 09:53:49 pm »
I'm so glad you sound less shocked and more determined Eve. it's terrible what happened but it's happened so now to making positive steps to do what you can. I know I will be doing absolutely everything I can to ensure when the time comes mine go where there is a vet all day. I'd rather drive a bit further. Thank you again for sharing your experience to help the rest of us

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:12 pm »
I can't advise on this subject but I would like to say that I am so sorry that you had to go through this Eve. It's good that you are getting back to normal and have a plan.

I can see Garys point of view too. I think that he described what should have happened perfectly. Unfortunately, due to one thing or another, that route cannot be taken and I understand that shock causes many many different actions and again I am sorry for what you went through.

I suspect that if outside organisations get involved in this abbatoir then this knid of attitude/behaviour cannot be masked and the truth will out. Lets hope that the evil bugger gets his just desserts.

Good luck Eve.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2010, 02:09:21 pm »
OOOOOEEEERRRR, Just had an upsetting text from a friend who took her piggies to slaughter this morning, first they would not load and it took her 2 hours, then she had to wait 2 hours while a lorry of 200 came in and took priority over private kill, then her piggies would not get off and it took 4 men some shouting and kicking to get them off, she was very upset, so it looks like yours was not an isolated case Eve. I guess the answer seems to be to get them used to loading and unloading well before you take them, even then they might just refuse to budge and only brute force will move them. Not Good  :(

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2010, 02:46:58 pm »
Oh dear, those poor piggies! Ours had been walking in and out of the trailer throughout the previous day, but if they have to sit in a confined space for 2 hours they can't be expected not to be anxious - and once they're being roughly handled they only become only more upset!

Those poor pigs. Your friend can call or email me if she would like to.

:(  :(  :(

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:28 pm »
FF,

I have compiled (and continue to compile) a good abattior guide,which will be posted every month or so on 3 forums (this one,river cottage & downsizer).  This gives comments on abattoir, together with the number of reviewers (no names). Pm me details and I'll add this to the list.  By getting lots of comments people can make informed decisions.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2010, 09:36:24 am »
I think its great that we all care so much about the animals' final end.  It would be so easy to say oh !"£ it and go buy supermarket meat without any conscience.  Yet we battle on at huge emotional and physical costsfor humanely produced meat.  Well done us I say!!!!!!!

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 04:52:44 pm »
Hear hear or is it here here ?? LOL

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS