Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bacon??  (Read 7732 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Bacon??
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 08:10:45 am »
" found it strange that we were going to eat him."

They probably thought he would have boar taint.  Please post to say he didnt.   :)

c day

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 09:22:10 am »
The butcher said he was strong smelling when getting cut up, but no taste of him at all infact i would say it has been the tastiest bacon we had.and the mince is more like beef. we have a six year old sow who is gonna head the same way soon.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 11:50:16 am »
I have just booked my saddleback gilt in and then called the butcher to ask him to cure the bacon and do a ham joint for us as well, I was told not to be too hopeful as the hormones would probably prevent the cure being taken?? They were very helpful but I think they are expecting the worst! I have just eaten bacon from a three year old sow and although it doesnt look good and is fatty the taste is fab so fingers crossed  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 12:52:46 pm »
Here in France its normal for older sows to go on to become sausages, belly bacon, salami etc.  My friend used a very old sow for bacon and gammon last year, havent actually tried it myself but heard it was fine.   If you are using the joints as fresh meat they do take a lot of long slow cooking.

powispigs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shropshire
    • Powis Pigs
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 08:31:18 pm »
An update.. bacon back today and it is fantastic, butcher made streaky and short back and it wasn't too fatty.  We also had gammon some of which we had some for tea, so tender and tasty!  So relieved!  :pig:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 08:51:42 pm »
No boar taint?
75kg of mince - that's many hundreds of burgers and sausages, even more than we could eat, and we're mad about the stuff!  ;D
Enjoy!

Eve  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS