Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In addition to advice please regarding the keeping of pigs!  (Read 4825 times)

Mel

In addition to advice please regarding the keeping of pigs!
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:02:18 pm »
Hi,I was grateful for the "advice needed" post which has answered many of my questions already :),however,regards the stock fencing,I do not really wish to use barbed wire whatsoever-I do not like it >:(,we have gone around the perimeter with stock wire and is approx 3.5ft in height,we were also going to use rails from post to post.We also have some electric fencing,would this be advisable to place around the perimeter aswell? I just want to do it all correctly and to make sure nothing can get in or out.

The area we have designated for the pigs measures approx 50 metres x 70 metres plus an extra length up the side of approx 150 metres x 3 metres,would this be enough for say 6 Tamworth pigs.I have read the defra guidelines and going by this I do not think it is enough space? it is a very large area and seems reasonable.I would appreciate your advice on this please.

Leghorn :)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: In addition to advice please regarding the keeping of pigs!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 01:13:28 pm »
I'm not a lover of barbed wire either, but I haven't found anything else that I can put at ground level of the stock fencing to prevent them rooting around and then finding themselves on the outside of the paddock.

With the first paddock I did I put two rails across too.  One at around 1/2 way up the stock fencing and one at the top of the stock fencing (now I'm hoping that makes sense!!??!) .  However I don't feel it was necessary for the rails, so I just put the uprights and stock fencing now, and of course the barbed wire just under the ground.

I haven't had  great success here with electric fencing, there always seems to be 'one' that manages to get out. 

I'm not very good with imagining the sizes you mentioned I'm afraid.  I just go with thought that the bigger the space the better.  The more space they have the less damage they do to the ground too.

Good luck with your pigs.  Let us know how you get on.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 03:17:59 pm »
To echo Julies post - I've had variable success with the electric fence, there's always one that manages to get out. You'll need to run 2 strands of tape (they see it better than the wire) at approx 8 inches and 18-22 inches from the ground. Pigs go by their nose - if they can get it under anything THEY WILL and then they're off !
As to the amount of space needed - the guidelines are 6 pigs per acre. But this applies when pigs are being kept year round. I'm presuming you're going to raise them for slaughter, if this is the case you'll not need as much space - but be prepared for the ground to get VERY churned up and once they've done that and start getting bored THAT'S when you'll get the breakout attempts ;)
I reckon you've got around a three quarters of an acre (going by your measurments) so you should be okay to keep 6 pigs to slaughter without any problems. If it's your first go at pig keeping I'd look to a different breed than Tamworths - just MY opinion, but they're a wee bit feistier than the floppy eared breeds - GOS, Oxford Sandy and Black etc are a bit more docile (and easier to keep in  ;))
HTH
Karen

Mel

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 04:06:39 pm »
Ok,Thank you all very much for your advice,we have spoken about this and decided to go for the GOS,though I am under the impression that boars have more leaner meat than sows,is it more problematic looking after boars than sows?

I have also seen that some pigs are unregistered and vice versa,Obviously we would need to register them once they arrive ???,we re defra registered and have our cph number so all we need to do is buy the pigs..right?-and get a movement order...

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »
You'll need a herd number as well as your CPH number - DEFRA should be able to help with that. Whoever sells you your pigs will issue a movement licence and you send it to your local trading standards office within 3 days.

Boars -v- gilts (sows are pigs with/after their 2nd litter) boars are more boisterous but there's no real difference with the looking after and raising - providing you buy brothers (unrelated boars can really fight - to the death sometimes) and with boars you can't get all sentimental and think "well, we could keep them and breed with them"  ;)

Registered pigs are pedigree pigs - ones where you can trace their linage. IMHO pedigree pigs are essential for breeding and when raising for meat you can sell it as GOS pork or OSB pork.
Unregistered pigs are sometimes pure bred, sometimes crosses and still taste every bit as nice. But if you're planning on selling the meat you can only call it "home grown" or "outside reared"
HTH
Karen

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 05:49:34 pm »
We used electric tape fencing for our GOS boars (4). Up to 4 months old we used 2 tapes - one at about 8 inches off the ground and the other about 15 inches off - after they were 4 months old there was NO WAY they were getting under the 8 inch tape so we just had the 15 inch one - and by that stage they were very respectful of the electric fence...!
I have no experience of looking after gilts/sows, but have to say the boars were no problem at all - they did get a tad large at 7 months, but never a problem  :D
There was one section of our perimeter fence that was just post and stock proof fencing..... the boys decided it was ultra good for scratching against (despite having loads of other scratch posts etc) and it ended up very stretched and distorted.
As for buying them - I had our CPH number and herd number - didn't register the pigs (as in with the breed association), and the smallholder I bought the pigs from had the AML (Animal Movement Licence) which he filled in and gave me the appropriate copies, then I duly sent the copy needed to our local animal trading office.
Enjoy
Tish

stu222art

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 06:23:01 pm »
if they learn that they get ashock at a early age they won t go near again unless its a  boar and a sow in season the other side  :D

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 10:32:22 pm »
Hi Leghorn,

Your pigs will have loads of space, don't worry. And boars are no big deal at all, we keep them and they are absolutely lovely, spend hours sitting on your lap having their belly rubbed and generally and just big softies. We have GOSs, by the way, and they're adorable and taste divine!

We use electric fencing as that's what's used on the farm where we keep our pigs. I'd rather have ordindary fencing (although that's more work) and I simply don't like the concept of using electricity. The first day is training day, so to speak: make sure you're there as a) the current is intermittent and b) when they do get a shock they might jump in the wrong direction i.e. out of the pen instead of staying in - don't chase them, rather lure them back in. 2-month old pigs you can grab by the back legs and lift upwards (so that they are completely off the ground) to carry them back to their pen without them squeeling.

Enjoy!

Eve  :wave:

Mel

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 06:23:22 am »
Hi all,Wow,this site is fantastic,all these answers and they are all so very helpful,at least it has put things into perspective for us! :)
Now we are quibbling with the idea of having them within the next 4 weeks,even with all the comments about waiting for spring.

We Have to go down the paddock every day regardless of the weather to feed and check the chickens-so in winter the place is a bit of a mess,very muddy-we have a large natural pond at the top end of the paddock which always and almost burst's it's banks,this is where our first allotment is and we have raised beds there now as always floods but the ducks love it hehe!

The rest of the paddock is always dry and free draining,and all the hens free range there so we cannot get away with being-up to our eyes in it,do you not just love it!-so,I do not feel that the extra muck shall hurt us :D

Pic of the pond last winter,it does not look very big,but it is some 40' ish and 8ft deep!
and another of part of the paddock.

Mel

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 06:26:33 am »
Hi Eve,I just thought,some use the electric fencing tape,I have more chicken and sheep electric wire than I need,could i use some of this,it would be typical to have too much of two types and none of the one needed!
Hi Leghorn,

Your pigs will have loads of space, don't worry. And boars are no big deal at all, we keep them and they are absolutely lovely, spend hours sitting on your lap having their belly rubbed and generally and just big softies. We have GOSs, by the way, and they're adorable and taste divine!

We use electric fencing as that's what's used on the farm where we keep our pigs. I'd rather have ordindary fencing (although that's more work) and I simply don't like the concept of using electricity. The first day is training day, so to speak: make sure you're there as a) the current is intermittent and b) when they do get a shock they might jump in the wrong direction i.e. out of the pen instead of staying in - don't chase them, rather lure them back in. 2-month old pigs you can grab by the back legs and lift upwards (so that they are completely off the ground) to carry them back to their pen without them squeeling.

Enjoy!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 10:33:56 am »
Leghorn in an emergency we have used sheep electric tape instead of pig.  Our pet pig will not cross the chicken fence even though its not actually connected because he recognises that it or similar bit him once. 

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 08:44:20 pm »
Oh I didn't explain that right, it's indeed tape (as in a long thin line) rather than fencing, we just call it electric fencing, silly us.  :D

Have a look at oaklandspigs' website, there are some photographs on there that show you the strands of white tape (oaklandspigs: I was just looking at your website, hence why! Love the pictures, the one of the happy Saddleback in the watertrough looks just like ours did whenever they were lying in their paddling pool - a wide grin on a happy pig! ;D)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 11:54:20 am »
Regarding the fencing: If pigs can't see through it they don't like to try and get on the other side of it, so at ground level use lengths of corrugated iron securely attached to firm wooden fence stakes. Bury the first few inches of the iron into the ground.

:pig:    :)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 09:09:40 pm »

I have 3 sides of my pig run with stock fence and just a single strand of electric wire to discourage digging under it, the other side is just 2 strands of electric fence wire which they seem to respect.
I have 3 Oxford Sandy and Black boars who are really friendly and easy going. I have found them to be easier than the 3 Saddleback gilts that I had last year, they dont seem to be as pushy although they love attention.
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS