Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cattle drinkers...can you adjust where the water reaches ?  (Read 2430 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
cattle drinkers...can you adjust where the water reaches ?
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »
One of my cattle drinking water troughs(galvanised) has a leak just under the lip of the  top.......can I by fiddling/bending the arm to the ball cock get the water to cut off at a lower level.
Leaking at the moment....not a problem at the moment but come winter....
Short of welding the hole is their any other product on the market which will bung at the leak ?
I suppose their is the option to empty it of water and rearrange it at an angle...but not sure this will work.It takes a long time to fill up with water and it's always difficult to guage how level it will finally settle.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: cattle drinkers...can you adjust where the water reaches ?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:32:19 pm »
Bending ball cock down should work. We use a screw to bung a small hole...just wind it in til tight.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:48:08 pm »
thanks for that....messing about with the ballcock today and actually broke the plastic ball. New one on order from ebay (why do local plumbers never stock these things) Meanwhile had to turn water off at stop tap...but only sheep so I guess I'm going to find out how much water 35 ewes and 30 lambs drink in a day .Will definitely try the screw...
thanks again.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:00:48 am »
You should be able to cobble a temporary (AKA if lazy then permenant) fix with a 1L plastic bottle and screw through the cap into a neck bung (cork or piece of round wood).

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:12:30 pm »
Fix the leak !   
eBay item number:

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 08:26:58 am »
If gong for a repair then i wouldn't go specially buying/using epoxy steel here unless any puncture its tiny. I'd be more likely to use an epoxy putty like milliput. But simpler still would be a couple of pieces of cloth (old t-shirt) placed on some old poly bag while one scrapes slow setting epoxy into the fibres with an old credit card, another layer around the hole and just stick the bandage on - unless you happen to have a proper glass fibre car repair kit handy it'd work fine.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS