Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buzzard  (Read 1560 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Buzzard
« on: June 01, 2018, 04:55:45 pm »
So, further to my previous thread about a buzzard taking a 10 week old chicken, we did some research. We kept the chooks in their run for a couple of days while we rigged up a plastic owl bird deterrent, humming wires and reflective bird deterrant tape.
The other 10 week old killed and picked clean today. The other birds in there are full grown large fowl. Will they be too big and therefore safe??
Do I need to keep them in their run? They are used to lots of space........

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Buzzard
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 06:07:38 pm »
This from the RSPB page on Hunting and Feeding Habits of the Buzzard:

Quote from: RSPB
Prey up to 500g is taken by active predation; anything heavier is usually carrion or seriously enfeebled individuals.

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/buzzard/hunting-and-feeding-habits/#QqAlkZExX616RpI8.99
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 06:43:08 pm »
We’ve recently had two occasions where a stripped carcass of an 8 and 9 week old hen respectively has been left behind. These are a commercial meat breed kept in a barn with a 4’ wooden framed wire barrier (now the full height of the door). We do have buzzards about but I suspect the culprit was a crow. Both times it was during the day within a 2 hour time period. The carcasses were both found at the foot of the wire barrier. Does that sound likely?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 02:25:27 pm »
Sure it's not a stoat or mink?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 11:21:59 pm »

More than likely Goshawks.  I have had issues over the years.  I had a new batch of 70 POL expensive hens I lost 10 in a few weeks!  I have them back out now but I have bought professional bird net and covered the big area with net over the top.  I did the CDs etc didn't work.  Someone said Turkeys are good but that's another hassle

The Goshawks will attack down, go for the breast.  Take about 1 side and leave the rest for next day.

Goshawks are now being a serious problem for outdoor poultry as they are not controlled. They have cost me my egg business as I no longer can afford to replace birds.  Im keeping the last of my birds. 

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:23:16 am »
We've always had carrion crows hanging around our place but until this year they have just taken bits of spilt feed but now have begun taking ducklings and we lost three to them as well as 9 chicks. There is also a Goshawk hanging around but it hasn't taken anything so far. We have begun to keep the young ducklings on the garden and as of now nothing has gone. We also keep one of our dogs outside some of the time and nothing will come close while he is there.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS