Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lung worm  (Read 1828 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Lung worm
« on: June 01, 2018, 02:34:37 pm »
Has anyone else had a persistent problem with lung worm?
Am pulling my hair out with this problem. Even treated every two weeks for six weeks to catch every cycle, still coming back positive for them.
It's not just the expense of testing and medication it is the health implementations. Bronchitis and pneumonia.

Has anyone one else been able to find a solution or have any advice to give please

Angie

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Lung worm
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 08:57:01 pm »

Sounds that you have a problem with resistant worms? There are new wormers available with no known resistance, these are only available from your vet, and maybe it would be worth your vet talking to the Goat Veterinary Society about dose rates of these new wormers for goats (probably higher than sheep, but not sure by how much).

Sorry nothing else springs to mind, I have (touch wood) not had any problems with worms so far...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 02:21:46 pm »
Sadly, despite worming my goats post kidding, I lost a goat last week, she went downhill so fast didn't show any problem until the Tuesday, a bit sluggish coming in, treated fo low calcium, dead Friday night, (did have a vet visit) initial PM showed high lungworm and roundworm, so vet told me to use Dectomax on them all.
Wormer was Rycoben, which should have covered these.

Can't your vet suggest anything?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 07:58:56 pm »
Johne's disease  can increase succeptability to lung worm , dectomax ,ivermectin ,cydectin can have a longer lasting protection

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:39 am »
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all, not had internet connection for a few days.

The type of lung worm my goats have are rare and persistent, not much in the way of treatment as no a lot of research into them. Apparently they can survive in a snail for up to two years.
At the moment it looks like I will have to treat them every month just to keep the burden down.

I have requested that the vet gets in touch with the goat veterinary society to see if they have any more information on medication that could be effective. He is also going to do more research into what could be used. Even keeping them of the field isn't a guarantee to prevent them being reinfected as he said slugs could get into their bedding at night.
So frustrated.

Angie

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:39:36 am »
Penninebilly so sorry to hear that you lost your goat, it must have come a a terrible shock. we nearly lost our dam two weeks before she kidded due to pneumonia,a secondary infection from the lung worm.was hand feeding her for two weeks, had to scour around woodland and hedgerow for green stuff and bark as that was all she could manage. It was a twenty four seven endeavour. I never want her to go through that again. She is a fighter and managed to hold onto her kids til one day before kidding was due. She had triplets. Now long slow journey to build her back up.
We won't be breeding from her again, she deserves her retirement.

Angie

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS