Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning lambs  (Read 1538 times)

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Weaning lambs
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:54:44 pm »
I saw a post on this the other day but can't find it.  Just wondering when I can wean my lambs?  I have someone who is interested in buying them all and wants them asap to mow her grass.  They were born between 10th and 19th March and are all well grown and eating creep.  I'd prefer to keep the ewes but don't want to miss out on a sale. 
Helen

Helen Wiltshire Horn

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Weaning lambs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:17:46 pm »
Just noticed that I have posted this on the wrong forum! 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 11:39:47 am »
If your query still stands, I would have thought you'd be okay to wean now, at three months. I'd normally keep them on for four, but the rumen is fully developed by 8 weeks so they should be fine on good grass by now.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 02:07:30 pm »
I usually wean at 3 months, mainly to stop my ewes getting too poor. I'd split them up and get them gone :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS