Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what dimensions for table bird run?  (Read 2009 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
what dimensions for table bird run?
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »
hi all

I've got 12 chicks, almost 3 weeks old, mixture of Sasso's and hubbards and i'm led to believe they will reach around 9lb or more depending on how old before we dispatch them.  Currently they are with a broody in a coop/run, but i need to build something bigger for them to grow-on in as i think they will be too big for current accomodation in 2-3 weeks.  I have wood, and weldmesh, and planning to construct panels of the wood/weldmesh, and then attach these to each other in a way so that they can easily be dismantled and stored away once they've been dispatched and then re-assembled next year.  My uncertaintly is, to allow space for 12 fat chickens, what dimensions should we be aiming at, in feet, in width and length and height?  Can someone please give me a straightforward suggestion on dimensions, as i don't want it taking up more space in the garden than needs be, but likewise, i want them to have enough space to move around!

thanks L

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: what dimensions for table bird run?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:21 pm »
Hi there  Out of interest these are the current standards

The Directive, EU directive 2007/43/EC, will come into force on 30 June 2010.2

21. A maximum stocking density of 33kg/m˛ is permitted in the Regulations. However, we intend to take advantage of the provision in the Directive which allows Member States to stock above 33kg/m˛ up to a maximum of 39kg/m˛ providing certain additional requirements are met. These relate to maintaining particular technical details of the house and its equipment which will be available for inspection by Animal Health. In addition, parameters are set for ammonia levels, temperatures in hot conditions and the average relative humidity.
22. In addition, we have included the Directive’s provision within the draft Regulations for producers to stock above 39kg/m˛ up to a maximum of 42kg/m˛

So I suppose anything in excess will mean they are better off than the average.   :o

If I am "fattening" I generally free range at first and then for the last month keep them in a stable, but for 12 maybe kept on deep straw to prevent a "quagmire" situation about a square metre or a bit less per bird might be OK.  Height is something for your benefit at long as they can stand up easily. 

Try posting on the Whizzbang Yahoo group, they are well into fattening meat birds, and I am sure will be able to give a more precise answer.

All the best
Sue
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:30:58 am by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS