Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blind runt.  (Read 1895 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Blind runt.
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:42:15 pm »
So we had an unplanned Brother/Sister Large Black mating that has resulted in a very small litter of 3 healthy looking gilts and a tiny (less than a lb) male who appears blind as he had dense cataracts in both eyes. Despite this he navigates round the stable without bumping into stuff and feeds like mad (don't know if he has some light/dark sight or it is all sound, smell and touch).

So a number of questions.
  • Has anyone seen this before?
  • How much do you think this affects his quality of life? Don't want him to suffer but genuinely at the moment (24 hour old) can't tell a difference in behaviour between him and his comparatively huge sisters.
  • What do you think his chances of survival are? He is so tiny but is up and about racing round with his siblings and feeding.
  • These were meant to be for meat. If he survives would he be accepted at an abattoir? Would there be any reason not to eat him?
  • Does anyone want to buy a blind, pedigree micro-pig?!  ;)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Blind runt.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:49:45 am »
Yes we had a blind piglet earlier this year, he was so successful i didn't realise for weeks!
I was concerned but my vet partner said if he's made it this far he could be fine and the abattoir would have no reason to reject him. Anyway, when it came to (late) weaning I'd forgotten and only occurred to me later that day that he must have got better!
Not saying yours will recover but if he can feed and find water he might do fine
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:43:57 pm by greenbeast »

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Blind runt.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:35:44 pm »
Thanks, will just have to see how he gets on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS