Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dandelion Wine advice please  (Read 3838 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Dandelion Wine advice please
« on: May 08, 2018, 10:49:28 am »
So I decided to take advantage of the field of sunshine I’ve got and picked a bucket of beautifully open dandelion heads to make wine.

It was only when I was pouring the required amount of water over it and knowing instinctively it was not enough water, that I realised I misread the instructions which said to start with a gallon of whole heads, loosely packed, then remove petals.

I had diligently filled a gallon container with just petals. It took forever!! Anyway, realising my error, I doubled the amount boiling water used to steep the petals, figuring I’d just make a double amount of wine. No great tragedy! However, now I’m worried that maybe it was more than double the amount of petals I’ve processed.

I was just wondering if it would be OK to continue with a double recipe, even though there may be more petals than recommended. I’ve not made this wine before so am unsure what effect my misjudgement may or may not cause. Anyone know?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Dandelion Wine advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »
there are quite a few ideas on youtube for this! I just had a look and there are many ways to do this, some look really good!

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Re: Dandelion Wine advice please
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:33:56 pm »
I would just go ahead with it. What you're basically doing is making a tea and then fermenting it. If you have more then you may just end up with a stronger flavour. Flowers themselves (And leaves) don't tend to have much to contribute to a wine other than flavour (low in tannins, acids etc) so it's unlikely to change anything other than the strength of the flavour. Have a taste of the steeped petals and see how it tastes then go from there.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS